World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning members,

I hope you can advise and help me with the following problem. I have a thread titled "FLOUNDER, it's not HOW MANY you CATCH, it's WHAT you CATCH EM'ON ?" on the South and West Wales region forum of the WSF. In a nutshell the thread is about using light and Ultra Light gear/ lures and imitation ragworms as an alternative to the standard beachcaster outfit.
One correspondent raised the subject of "Flounders on the Fly" and I have been endeavouring to find any Articles, Blogs or details of saltwater flies that are specifically directed at this species. I would very much appreciate any assistance you can give me in tracking down the relevant sources.

Thank you in anticipation of your attention,

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek Townsend)

G

·
I've been unable to find any information on fly fishing for flounder.
My own opinion is it doesn't matter what you use to present the lure but how you present it.I think a streamer type fly on a sinking line and leader will work as will a sinking leader teamed with a floating line.
You would have to decide on the day according to conditions and water depth which combination is going to get the fly down and allow it to either drift along or be retrieved along the bottom.
Something to try this year maybe.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I do not fish for flounder on purpose, but have had a few on the fly while bass/seatrout fishing.

It must be said, the place I have had them on fly is a VERY shallow and small estuary/sea-pool, normally fishing in 12 to 18 inches of water; which, I reckon, is why the fly works better than plugging.

I have had them on white muddlers on the top, and on teal-blue-silver just below the surface. Several times flounder have jumped from the water and landed on top of the fly (same has happened with topwater lures in another estuary). It's quite a sight to see: a flounder trying to bellyflop its prey.

I general, though, I'd go with Chris' idea. If the water were deeper, a sinking or intermediate line (maybe a sink-tip) and something that looks like a sandeel. I get a few on the smaller size of SavageGear sandeel while bouncing it along the bottom in the surf; so clearly sandeel is on the menu.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would imagine that a long streaming type ov fly or even some red ribbon type lure would work well as they would.mimic the look and movement ov a worm or a small baitfish type lure/fly may appeal to flatties ov all kinds...
good luck and keep us posted.
Seána
x

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'd go with leakyboots on this one - shallow semi-brackish water and I've had most of my (accidental) flounder catches on small (maybe 1") white/silver fry patterns.

Bouncingwilf

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi Derek, I've done well bouncing crazy charlies off the bottom.mostly of ogmore river mouth,but also Llangennith beach.the fly produces a little puff of sand which is deadly at drawing them in.regards chris

·
Registered
740 Posts
hi

i caught a tubot on a fly on llangenith beach last year. i was trying to catch golden grey mullet at the time. i was using a small sand shrimp immitation, 4lb leader on a/floating line in the surf. whilst i have not caught an flounder this way, i wouldn`t be surprised if i catch a flounder before a golden grey!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Echo the catching flatties when fishing for mullet in a shallow estuary situation theme. Caught my first on a red headed diawl bach when dead drifting in 18" of water.......

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Down Tenby and around there I used bonefish flies to great effect catching the Flounder and Turbot. They will come off the bottom a fair way to intercept the fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts