World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd chuck this on here to get some opinions... is this flattie which my mate caught a Flounder or a Plaice?

I'm saying Flounder cos of the fins and the shape, other people are saying Plaice due to the spots!
It doesn't look like a Plaice to me, but I may be wrong!

What do people think?

Attachments

· Registered
21,684 Posts
Flounder imo. Agree with the shape, plus the spots aren’t very pronounced - we get a lot of ‘fresh run’ fish in the estuary that still have orange spots, some a lot more pronounced than this one, but they’re definitely flounder

· WSF 2021 Bass C&R Lure Trophy joint winner 80cm
1,735 Posts
Thought I'd chuck this on here to get some opinions... is this flattie which my mate caught a Flounder or a Plaice?

I'm saying Flounder cos of the fins and the shape, other people are saying Plaice due to the spots!
It doesn't look like a Plaice to me, but I may be wrong!

What do people think?
100 per cent a flounder. Lots of them have faint orange spots. PH

· Registered
25,671 Posts
Flounder.

· Registered
2,892 Posts
Flounder 100%
As said above, most flounders have feint orange spots.
Plaice usually have vivid orange spots.
There are other differences between flounder and plaice concerning fin size and shape, knobbly heads, knobbly fin base, head an tail shape, etc.
Once you know the differences you should be able to hold a dab, or flounder, or plaice in your hand and identify it just by feel alone. No need to look at it.

· WSF 2021 Bass C&R Lure Trophy joint winner 80cm
1,735 Posts
Turn it over, the plaice has a translucent look about it and a distinct 'herringbone' pattern, the flounder is a dull white with no pattern. If you can see an obvious oval shape behind the gill it's a dab.
Stroke the fish from tail to head. If it's rough it's a dab. Has anyone else noticed that plaice also have a distinctive smell - not that I advocate sniffing as a method of fish ID! PH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.