World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone catch flounder at ogmore estuary, because I never here of any and all I have are schoolies and pout. If so when's best, tide, time of year etc?

·
Registered
198 Posts
what tackle/baits are you using rich?
i tend to use size 2 - 4 hooks, with a double boom trace similar to a pier rig
on the slack tide i used a rolling lead the rest of the time a gripper.
maddies are good and the're also partial to a bit of squid, but i've had them on lug and normal rag before.
i also give the bite a bit longer to develop even if you get a good wack straight away.
If the fish is on it will sit on the bed chewing away for a while and then try to swim off, all hell should then break loose then (if it's a good one).
Spring (March - May) is my favorite time for them as they can be up to 2lb or a small as a 50 pence!
always a chance of an early bass at that time too!!!
JD

·
Registered
208 Posts
theres a chance of big flounders off the beaches in dec/jan/feb i had one on boxing day on aberavon, it was just over 2.5lb and it was taken on a frozen back lug/razor fish just at slack water on a morning tide. I supose you will catch them on most baits, but anything white does seem to help!!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Had a nice two pounder outside Burry Port harbout couple of weeks ago section of king rag tipped with 5p coin piece of mackerel

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
the best time to fish for the flatties down ogmore is wen there is a small small tide.also in a period wen there as been no rain for a couple of days.I was down there on new years.we ad 5 between 2 of us.The biggest bein about 1.8pounds.all caught on mudworm freshly dug down there.Use a 2 hook boom rig with a many beads

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Never fished ogmore estuary but when i am flounder fishing I use a two hook paternoster with short snoods genie glow beads below white beads and size 4 hooks. Maddies are up with the best but I never seem to do well with them off the beach I just use small sizes ragworm.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Whilst we are on the subject of flattie baits, does anybody apart from me use white ragworm? I started using it about 25yrs ago when I saw small bass "tailing" in the shallows, at about three quarters flood tide! I wondered what they could be after, & I pushed my rod rest down into the sand to mark the spot.
After the tide went back out I dug about in the sand to see what I could find, & I came across these small whitish ragworm, very much like harbour rag in size only a creamy white colour, & only 3"/4" down in the sand, looking closer I could see that there were lots of small round holes in the sand.
On my next trip down there, I dug a 2oz Golden Virginia Tin full of these things in about 20mins, & used them on a separate rod,
Results on my "conventional" rod 2 flounder, & a 4lb bass. On my "unconventional" rod 37 flounders, 4 school bass up to about 2lb, this was fishing on the same rod stand!
Since then I have always used white rag for flounders off the beach, I have used them off the boat, but found they catch no better than lug or rag when dab fishing.
I know they split the rocks in the Channel Islands to get what they call "Verm" but those things are like huge King Rag, but they rave over them for bass.
Anybody out there ever seem these little beauties when digging for lug & discarded them? a tip next time throw the lug away instead!
blueskip

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've also have tried small whites for flounder and found they work better in clear water as they wriggle like no other worms . I've also use pealer crabs , which can sort out the bigger fish, if the water is cloudy .But, my personal fav is harbour rag (maddies), when i get time to dig them .When fishing for flounders i've always had more luck, when we've have had no rain for a few days before .Never under estimate the power of the float and spoon . On my last days flatty bashing I had a load of dead rag give to me, so I used it as ground bait and had good results with seven fish all at 20 yards and over the ground bait .I'll have to try this again next time I go flatty bashing . Hope this helps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Never really got into flattie fishing so i'm gonna give it a go pretty soon down Aberavon or maybe loughor.
What size hooks are best and is it advisable tipping maddies with squid for the better fish?

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
On the south coast where i've done most of my flounder fishing they don't us much squid or mac tips for flounder ,But have heard it can work well .
When using maddies I usual use size 4 or 6 fine wire Aberdeans and load the hook by just nipping each maddy through the head (about 10 to15) and dip the worms in the water before you cast , this helps stop the worms flinging off.
When using rag or crab i use a slightly bigger and stronger hook size 1, 1/0 or 2/0 .
Flounders can be a funny fish at times, so try different rigs,casting distances, beads or no beads , colours of beads and flounder spoons .
Don't be frightend of letting the bites develope as double shots are common .
If the fish are nibbling and not taking then give them some slack line and this can give them more confidence to take .hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never really got into flattie fishing so i'm gonna give it a go pretty soon down Aberavon or maybe loughor.
What size hooks are best and is it advisable tipping maddies with squid for the better fish?

Cheers

I use mud rag tipped with lug and check my bait every 5 mins on Loughor.
I have always had success

·
Registered
5 Posts

Cheers

try the clicking method........just cast in ,allow the bait to settle for a few minutes and click a few turns of the reel pulling your bait a couple of feet,stop for a few moments an repeat until you get a hit.I have had some nice flounder doing this,make sure you are not fishing over rocky ground when doing this for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
236 Posts
for the estuary mate fish runnin ledger rigs with say a two or three ounce lead, you probably wont need any bigger beacuse anything over a ten and a half meter tide is not worth fishing down there. ive only ever caught on maddies down there and it is probably the best bait to use down there, just dig it from the banking. i fished it regularly with salmon last winter we had plenty of flatties and 2 or three of these fish were over 2 and hlaf pound. just try your luck down there mate it really is hit or miss.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts