World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

After yesterday's unexpected result I thought I would try the same Venue and exactly the same mark. I was mildly optimistic because of yesterday that there would be a few fish around. My target was Flatfish and I knew that there were quite a few Flounders to be had so that was my main target. If I managed a Plaice it would have been a bonus as would have been another Bass.

The day was very productive for the old Flounders, finished up with

17 X Flounders
1 X Rockling
3 X Whiting
4 X Dabs

Most of the Flounders were 0ver 35cm and really plump, the best one was 40cm again. It's nice to see so many Flatfish around. I personally love fishing for Flatfish, I think it's because this is what I fished for as a kid.

Some pictures of the days catch

Flatfish Fish Fish Flounder Sole
Fish Flatfish Sole Flounder Fish
Apalone Turtle Flatfish Fish Softshell
Fish Flatfish Fish Flounder Halibut
Sky Sea Water Horizon Cloud
Sky Horizon Sea Ocean Water
Fish Flatfish Flounder Halibut Fish

Tight lines Becky

·
Banned
2,348 Posts
Nice one Becky it is great you still enjoy flattie bashing as that is what you did as a kid. I am the opposite, I wouldnt care if I never caught another flounder or eel as that is all I ever caught as a kid. Growing up in Gravesend with no family that were interested in fishing meant chucking cooked shrimp or garden worms into the Thames each weekend and hauling in flounders and eels whilst the angling magazines of the day constantly reminded us that there were much better fish to be had at this unobtainable mecca that was Dungeness and Dengemarsh. :D

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Becky it is great you still enjoy flattie bashing as that is what you did as a kid. I am the opposite, I wouldnt care if I never caught another flounder or eel as that is all I ever caught as a kid. Growing up in Gravesend with no family that were interested in fishing meant chucking cooked shrimp or garden worms into the Thames each weekend and hauling in flounders and eels whilst the angling magazines of the day constantly reminded us that there were much better fish to be had at this unobtainable mecca that was Dungeness and Dengemarsh. :D
I grew up in St. Ives in Cornwall so had the chance to fish for Bass, Dabs, Dogfish, Wrasse, Pollock, Gurnard, Mackerel, Gurnard, Garfish, John Dory, Mullet, Codling if you were lucky, Coalfish on occasion, Gilthead Bream, Turbot, Plaice the odd Ray here and there but still love catching the Founders. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Banned
2,348 Posts
In the Sea Angling Monthly days John Darling was always pulling out huge fish around Dungie, Dengemarsh around to Beach Head, Digger Derrington was catching cod up around Walton, Clacton Aldeborough Dirty wall etc. Mike Thrussell was catching all and sundry down your way and Graham Pullen and Trevor Housby were jetting the globe.

Even our local bloke, Alan Yates was only interested in Dover, Deal and Folkestone. No one was interested in the Thames. It was like we were pretending to fish or doing some pointless apprenticeship like a YTS scheme. I always said when I was old enough to get a car I would fish all of those places, but of course your priorities change when you are old enough to drive and I still havent been to most of them.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice one there becky, might try up on the thames nxt week meself.
Speaking to a friend who fished there recently they said it was pants. Seems to be more on the south coast than in the Thames

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Becky your certainly making the most of the school hols, well done mate.
I'm having trouble keeping up with all your fishing reports, lol!!!!

Reactions: Becky Lee

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am out again next week quite a few times too so more reports going up then.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lovely report Becks!
S-Luke, your post brought back very similar memories, except I was on the opposite bank at Tilbury as a kid, cycled to the river & fished most weekends, in the early 1960's it was almost solely Eels, then a few Flounder appeared, of course famously followed by the incredible Cod run throughout late 60's & 70's. Like you I now cant stand Eels & Flounders...I even felt sick when a report today mentioned eating Flounders, they certainly tasted foul in the 60's from the Thames! spent my pocket money on the Angling Times & drooled & dreamt of far off unattainable places like Dungeness, (which I now fish from time to time) Good days & a good grounding...
John.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flounders tasted OK in Cornwall as they were caught over clean sandy ground not muddy like the Thames.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.