World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are flounders found in the rivers this time of year? and what size hook would you use for them i'm thinking 1.0 and rag bait..

Cheers folks

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
you would be better dropping hook size down to a 2 lug,rag, and maddies are the baits to use, plenty of flounders around in the rivers if you search for them.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
depends what rivers you are talking about - as for the stour and orwell they're all but extinct, sad but true :(

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
depends what rivers you are talking about - as for the stour and orwell they're all but extinct, sad but true :(
Ohh the joys of seafishing! you not had any then Josh? I was thinking of the Deben

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
nope they're just not about in any numbers around those rivers anymore. Marv and others will back me up. Trawled for pot bait, rivers constantly dredged and bass everywhere - doesn't leave much room for flounders :(

·
Global Moderator
5,201 Posts
Plenty in the Humber..............

There must be for Trev to catch !!!!!!!! :lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
nope they're just not about in any numbers around those rivers anymore. Marv and others will back me up. Trawled for pot bait, rivers constantly dredged and bass everywhere - doesn't leave much room for flounders :(
yes sad but true, i havn't seen a flounder in the Orwell for about 3 years...used to be a good standby for sport when you couldnt get out but now, as Josh says EXTINCT !!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
theres a few about down near judas gap still and one or 2 other places along the river but ya say josh not in any numbers float fishing harbour rag on really light gear works still at one spot along the river

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
theres a few about down near judas gap still and one or 2 other places along the river but ya say josh not in any numbers float fishing harbour rag on really light gear works still at one spot along the river
flippin hell matt, thats miles up river!!! those flounders must be in almost 100% fresh water.... when you say you get the odd one on floated maddies, do you mean in the fresh water or salt?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
flippin hell matt, thats miles up river!!! those flounders must be in almost 100% fresh water.... when you say you get the odd one on floated maddies, do you mean in the fresh water or salt?
I grew up at Cantley on the Banks of the River Yare. I should think it's a good 15 miles+ from Breydon Water as the fish swims. We used to get a run of Flounders up to anywhere around 1lb for about 3 or 4 weeks in October.
I think they might of come form even further upriver and stopped to feed at the Sugar Factory on the way back seawards. I've had them from Surlingham whilst Bream fishing and thats a good 5 odd miles further up still. Funny fish Flounders.

I've not had one at all this year. Can't even remember the last time I had one. I saw a couple of hand size fish in a creek on the Blyth a couple of weeks ago but thats it..

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
there in the salt side josh like you said its almost freah water cause you hve to get through the little roach first lol also the mullet up that end are massive but im buggered if i can catch them

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i may have a go a those flounders mate but like you say bugger the mullet lol there impossible!! what sort of drop from the float should i use???

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i may have a go a those flounders mate but like you say bugger the mullet lol there impossible!! what sort of drop from the float should i use???
i fish it at about 10ft then ajust till i find the right depth btw them mullet follow a tiny spoon if your got the patience it would probley work

1 - 14 of 14 Posts