World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm calling on the wealth of experience that's out there. Do you believe that there is a benefit to using flourocarbon on hook lengths, rather than using normal monofilament? Under the water, does it really matter?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was watching Henry Gilbey the other week,him and his mate were catching mullet,Henry was using the flourocarbon,his mate wasn't,both of them was struggling. In this case the hooklink material didn't make a difference. :g:

C

·
0 Posts
I tried it for a while but wasn't impressed now I use 30lb green braid for all my hook lengths .very thin very strong and looks just like thin sea weed

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The stiffness properties are one of the main factors people seem to miss out when considering fluorocarbon lines. Fluorocarbon is harder then mono and stiffer. It stands of swivels and booms more and is less likely to tangle, this is why i like it for hopper of flying collar rigs.

C

·
0 Posts
I have also started using it for snood lengths and for flying collars. It does seem to sort out the better fish for some reason.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
For float fishing in shallow clear water I use nothing else. In deeper water or coloured water it makes no difference really, but since using it for float fishing I've noticed I catch more compared to anglers using clear amnesia.

·
Registered
124 Posts
when match fishing shallow surf beaches in clear bright conditions it can be the difference between catching and blanking . i use seaguar carbon pro and would not fish a match in the above mentioned conditions without it

·
Banned
927 Posts
Flurocarbon is heavier than than mono an is virtually invisible in water.
That is why most flyfishermen use it.

Ron

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Watch "Korda State Of The Art Carp Fishing" and see the Carp spook off of Flourocarbon in clear water / bright sunlight, so much so, that Danny Fairbrass (author of above) switched back to braided hook lengths..

Carp anglers were using it 10 years ago, it ain't new, i used Casper when it first came out, brittle, not impressed, lost countless Carp, no better results over Amnesia, Summat else to catch anglers, not fish.

Try the new(er) coated braids for hooklengths.

Al ..

·
Registered
717 Posts
when match fishing shallow surf beaches in clear bright conditions it can be the difference between catching and blanking . i use seaguar carbon pro and would not fish a match in the above mentioned conditions without it
Do you get your carbon pro sent from the States or is there a UK stockist?

Cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of your comments. There are some mixed views. I've decided to try clear amnesia and see how I get on.

T

·
0 Posts
Johntb

Why not get a spool of both?

That way you'll get a proper comparison and be able to make your own mind up.
The majority view seems to clearly say that in the right location it easily outfishes standard mono, but coloured water or when shoal fish are competing hard it should'n't make a difference.

Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts