World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I started using flourocarbon leaders when spinning for bass. I cant decide if its worth the effort.
I have heard that under some conditions flouro can show up more than normal mono.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I use it but I'd be hard pressed to say that it makes any difference!!! Not sure about the idea of it being more visible in some circumstances as i'd asumed it was invisible but i've stod next to people not using it and they've fished the same or similar to me!!!

I guess i think that it might give me an extra chance so why not?

Spinning for bass i use braid so you want a length of flurocarbon or mono because braid gets damaged so easily on rocks.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I started using flurocarbon as I had heard it is more abrasion resistant than mono.
After much trial catching pollack from shallow rock/kelp marks I would use nothing else. It's tough!
Not sure about the visibility but the slight extra stiffness of flurocarbon helps with some traces.
Do not bother with Berkly Vanish - it's not 100% fluro - not the most pleasant to use (memory/twists)
For general bottom fishing in murky conditions I can see no advantage to using fluro.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
if you are buying your flurocarbon by its LB you will find it is more abrasion resistant than mono as it is normaly a higher dianiter so say you use a 12lb mono a flurocarbon of the same diamiter may only be 8lb

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Last year I started using flourocarbon leaders when spinning for bass. I cant decide if its worth the effort.
I have heard that under some conditions flouro can show up more than normal mono.
Any thoughts?
Clear water and bright sunlight flouro can be more visible than some ordinary nylon lines, the sunlight reflects off of the line causing it to become more visible.
In my experience & I used it a lot for hooklength material and main reel lines (freshwater only), flouro is not as abrasion resistant, has less stretch and seemed more prone to snapping, no stiffer and a lot more money than say, Amnesia, , waste of money in my opinion.
AL ..

G

·
if you are buying your flurocarbon by its LB you will find it is more abrasion resistant than mono as it is normaly a higher dianiter so say you use a 12lb mono a flurocarbon of the same diamiter may only be 8lb
Is it?

Anyone have any amnesia they can check out? 11.4Kg I think would be the breaking strain.
If so, what diameter is given?

I have always used clear Amnesia when "gilling" in the above breaking strain for my trace lengths. I have never had any issues hooking up with it.
But, due to the hype, I thought I'd try flurocarbon and have some Momoi "High Catch" 25lb .47mm stuff.

Fishing last Friday and I would say I caught fractionally less and had fractionally more tangles with it. This may have been unfairi as I was also using an unfamiliar rod and reel.

What struck me though, was that it appeared to be thinner, a lot thinner than the usual amnesia.
In addition, it was very hard to bite through (I always bite my line!) and when you pulled tight it was like cheese wire on your hands.
I'll try it a few more times for gilling, but may consign it to the finicky fish like inshore Bassing etc.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
With all lines I pay more attention to diameter than breaking strain. I really don't care if my trace is 10lb, 15lb or 25lb as long as the fish takes the bait and does not fray it through.
There are several brands of fluro available and as with mono some are better than others. I am stiil 'playing' with various brands.
Buy a couple of spools from different brands and try it out. Any item of fishing tackle comes down to personal preference - based on your experience.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is interesting. We do a lot of Turbot and Brill fishing here and having moved here just over three years ago I did actually have the best flatfish season of those three summers, last year. I put this down to my switch to Fluorocarbon, Bass catches increased too. I normally fish from my own boat but one day took an invitation from Chris Tett, Peace and Plenty, to fish with them for a day. He noticed I used fluorocarbon and said waste of money. He was kind of right, I caught no more than the best rod on the boat but I did catch a lot more Bass when we went Bassing. I used the Vanish one mentioned earlier, yes it does twist and tangle once thoroughly used, also I lost fish due to breakages whereby there is no stretch init, so I am going to give the Sakuma brands a thorough testing this year. At the moment I still believe in it, maybe I'll have to give one of the other boys I take with me a free spool of amnesia and see if I get outfished.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Interestingly I've been the only one using flouro on bass trips out of Padstow,and been the only one to catch twice!Hmmmmm!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have had problems with Vanish fluorocarbon breaking at well below it's stated breaking strain.
Admittedly whilst mulleting though.
Anyone recommend any other brands that are available in 6lb?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
For hook lengths I am happy with Sightfree fluro. Use 15lb for pollack and have used 6lb for trout. Actually not sure what brand the 6lb was. Plenty of good pollack but never a big enough trout to test it.
The knot strength of the 15lb is very close to stated BS - though line is closer in diameter to a 18lb mono that I use.
For mainline I had a bulk spool of a YO-ZURI fluro/co-polymer hybrid line that I bought at a Florida Pro-bass store. It was 15lb BS and consistently broke at 15lb even when I tried it with 2 lengths joined with a simple blood knot.
Basically the YO-ZURI is a similar spec to Berkley Vanish - but I felt it was much, much better.
My YO-ZURI has run out and I have not found it in UK.
Have got a couple of brands of pure fluro to try this year - bought cheap when a local dealer was closing for good. Think fluro is well overpriced here!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Snowbee used to produce a good flurocarbon line, i used the 8lb for float fishing. I think Veals stock the Yo zuri fluorocarbon, but have heard that the Varivas stuff is good quality at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For fresh water Barbling and Fly fishing for Sea Trout and Salmon Flourocarbon certainly works for me. I use riverge for the freshwater and Trout fishing and Seagar for the Salmon and for inshore spinning. I often outfished my pals when fishing clear water and the only difference was the Flouro Leaders so now they all use it too. I have not used Flouro for deep water gilling, etc as I still instinctively use amnesia for some reason I have not tried it but will have to give it a go. Seagar is very tough and has particularly good abrasion resistance. I tried Vanish and was not at all impressed. Threw it away after a couple of trips

·
Banned
820 Posts
I have had problems with Vanish fluorocarbon breaking at well below it's stated breaking strain.
Admittedly whilst mulleting though.
Anyone recommend any other brands that are available in 6lb?
Seaguar has incredible knot strength. (uni knot) I have used the 6lb. I think that is the lowest they make, for Bonefish with great success. Almost invisible when laid alongside similar bs mono in water.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Clear water and bright sunlight flouro can be more visible than some ordinary nylon lines, the sunlight reflects off of the line causing it to become more visible.
In my experience & I used it a lot for hooklength material and main reel lines (freshwater only), flouro is not as abrasion resistant, has less stretch and seemed more prone to snapping, no stiffer and a lot more money than say, Amnesia, , waste of money in my opinion.
AL ..
Seaguar is good. Made by the same people that make Riverge Try it yourself. Simple test Put it on a sandy bottom alongside mono of the same bs and it virtually disappers in bright sunlight. And very good on the knot strength 90% on my own testing with a spring balance reading at the break point using a uni knot.
Orvis Mirage I trust too as a good flurocarbon.

Berkley vanish and all the Ultima stuff I have found to be very poor at the knot. Very low break point no matter what knot I tried.

·
Registered
93 Posts
All my experience of fluorocarbon suggests its a lot less abrasion resistance than just about all types of mono. I use it on the rivers for barbel when the river is low and clear as its sometimes the only way to get a take during the day.

Lost the first three fish of the season year before last using Krystonite (renamed Kryston****e and dispensed with pronto!) I'd only consider using it in the sea bottom fishing over soft sand, spinning or livebaiting mid-water.

My advice in a nutshell - Proceed with caution!

Billy

·
Banned
820 Posts
All my experience of fluorocarbon suggests its a lot less abrasion resistance than just about all types of mono. I use it on the rivers for barbel when the river is low and clear as its sometimes the only way to get a take during the day.

Lost the first three fish of the season year before last using Krystonite (renamed Kryston****e and dispensed with pronto!) I'd only consider using it in the sea bottom fishing over soft sand, spinning or livebaiting mid-water.

My advice in a nutshell - Proceed with caution!

Billy
But there are Fluorocarbons and Fluoracarbon's Not all are good. You can't condemn them on one brand. It's allready been said some are crap!

I have used Seaguar fror flyfishing on coarse sand. Retrieving the fly along it all day long when Bonefishing. Absolutely no problem with abrasion breakages. That stuff is tough!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry Rajabatis, just sharing my experience. I certainly didn't condemn on them on the basis of one brand! - I simply used Krystonite as an example, I have had slightly better results with other brands and far worse with some others.

In the barbel fraternity there are some that swear by it and other that avoid it like the like plague based on their own and others experience.

Like I stated earlier, I use it when I feel I have to and I'll certainly be checking out the Seaguar brand that you mention.

That said, I stand by the proceed with caution statement - I was very disturbed leaving hooks and trailing hooklengths in those 3 barbel I referred to ...

ATB
Billy

·
Banned
820 Posts
Sorry Rajabatis, just sharing my experience. I certainly didn't condemn on them on the basis of one brand! - I simply used Krystonite as an example, I have had slightly better results with other brands and far worse with some others.

In the barbel fraternity there are some that swear by it and other that avoid it like the like plague based on their own and others experience.

Like I stated earlier, I use it when I feel I have to and I'll certainly be checking out the Seaguar brand that you mention.

That said, I stand by the proceed with caution statement - I was very disturbed leaving hooks and trailing hooklengths in those 3 barbel I referred to ...

ATB
Billy
Hi I test lines before I fish. I never trust anybodys claims. Manufacturers or anybody else.
I go through my usual routine of putting a hook or swivel in the vice. Tying the knot and pulling the line till it breaks. Then do it again and get a spring balance and tie that in too. Then get a friend to read the scale to see what it breaks at.
Simple! Then I know I can trust it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts