World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is seaguar fluorocarbon much better than the Berkley trilene as it is more than double the price.
:confused:
Thanks

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It is better, but it's a moot point whether it is twice as good.

However the 100% (Berley, Pure Fishing) fluoro should not be confused with Berkeley "Vanish" (fluorocarbon coated nylon) which, at least in the early years, was not highly regarded by knowing anglers.

It was generally regarded as not nearly as good as "Krystonite" where the coating was more for abrasion resistance than for "invisibility" nor as 100% fluorocarbons

Afterthought: if you're looking for an inexpensive 100% fluoro which is good quality, I'd recommend the (new-ish) Stren fluorocarbon. Though I am not absolutely sure it is as good as Seaguar (and it only goes up to 80lb b.s.).

By the way, UK-Hooks sell Seaguar - check their price in case it compares well with whatever you have seen.

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
It is better, but it's a moot point whether it is twice as good.
(fluor
However the 100% (Berley, Pure Fishing) fluoro should not be confused with Berkeley "Vanish" ocarbon coated nylon) which, at least in the early years, was not highly regarded by knowing anglers.
I'm using Berkeley Vanish Transition, which is 100% fluorocarbon,, (at least thats what it says on the tin,) and if it does turn out to be fluoro coated nylon then it will be going back,, Marc..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi mate I have used the seaguar fluoro extensively in the states and cuba for bonefish, permit, tarpon etc in norway, russia and here for salmon and its outstanding a close second is riverge grand max fluoro. I have not used many other brands as I have complete confidence in it and coz it works ive not seen the need to change!!!! having said that it is pricey compared to some other brands (but then I`m lucky to get discount being an APGAI!!!)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'm using Berkeley Vanish Transition, which is 100% fluorocarbon,, (at least thats what it says on the tin,) and if it does turn out to be fluoro coated nylon then it will be going back,, Marc..
It says 100% fluorocarbon on the spool i have as well i stopped using it due to the knot strength i'm having problems knotting F1 as well to me it seems the uni knot is better with both these lines

·
Registered
416 Posts
Be aware that Seaguar is one of the very few (one in Germany and two in Japan) manufacturers of the raw materials for fluorocarbon lines, and they tend to keep the good stuff for their own lines.

If you are after good value fluorocarbon lines look at the American outdoor equipment retail giant Bass Pro's own branded XPS line, which is in fact manufactured by Seaguar.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._37510_100017002_100000000_100017000_100-17-2

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Remember you heard it here - try the Sufix invisiline - hellishly expensive (even Mick coughed at the price) - excellent fluoro though!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Ah, I think Vanish Transition came out relatively recently (2 or 3 year ago ?) and may be the 'real deal' unlike the Vanish which first appeared 10+ years ago.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi mate I have used the seaguar fluoro extensively in the states and cuba for bonefish, permit, tarpon etc in norway, russia and here for salmon and its outstanding a close second is riverge grand max fluoro. I have not used many other brands as I have complete confidence in it and coz it works ive not seen the need to change!!!! having said that it is pricey compared to some other brands (but then I`m lucky to get discount being an APGAI!!!)
Hi Mr ZZippy. Have you had any problems with grand max. I've sent two spools back (stuff snapping easily) and I know I'm not the only one. As to seaguar floro, it's made by the same people (Ithink) and in MHO it's the dogs bits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts