World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have been lure fishing for a few years now with some modest success . I really enjoy it even when not catching . I think some of my problem is that I am self taught which I no is not always a good thing . Usually my lure is attached direct to the main line for both trolling and casting . This year I intend to work hard with soft lures . I don't actually know any one who has any real knowledge on the subject , hence no one to ask . So my question is , Why is Fluro Carbon so important and what difference does it make .Would really appreciate any advice . Thanks . Pinchers.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It'll be worth reading marks thread http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/lure-fishing/2321550-leaders-lack-them.html

There's allegedly pros and cons for/against.
Fluro has better abbraisive strength than braid and tends to be stiffer so less snags.
I'm on the fence as to whether it makes enough of a difference or not.

I used fluro for a few months last year and took it off after a bad knot and having to re-tie the leader in the rain!

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
62,234 Posts
Hi , I have been lure fishing for a few years now with some modest success . I really enjoy it even when not catching . I think some of my problem is that I am self taught which I no is not always a good thing . Usually my lure is attached direct to the main line for both trolling and casting . This year I intend to work hard with soft lures . I don't actually know any one who has any real knowledge on the subject , hence no one to ask . So my question is , Why is Fluro Carbon so important and what difference does it make .Would really appreciate any advice . Thanks . Pinchers.
If you are using soft lures and inching them along the bottom and through structure than you would need a leader of a good length to protect your braid from rock etc....

FC lines are great as the ones designed for use as a leader only are hard and stiff and very tough compared to mono lines.

Sometimes I go as long as 12' or so or down to 18".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts