World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi all, I live in Edinburgh, lost license due to drunken stupidity, can get to beachy shores &nbsp;like Seton Sands. Anyhoo, took the plunge, bought 3 cheap beachcasters and 3f spool reeels for starters. So my qu. is :-
I&#39;ll be fishing for flatties at 1st I expect. ( don&#39;t know any rocky points yet). When do I fish ? do the flatties follow the tide in, so I should fish on the high ebb, or what? hoping to go this Saturday, High tides should be around noon, when should I go ? Thanks guys, expect me to answer more daft newbie questions in the near future. Nig</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<font color='#000080'>Hi Theoden, are you specifically going for flatties? The time of day will you be going will bare some relevance too, I catch whiting quite a lot at dusk.

I&#39;m not really a flatty expert, but I understand they fish well after a low tide when the sun has warmed up the sand. The sea comes in then the flatties then follow in the tide to take advantage of the warmth.

A very slow retrieve can increase your chances as you make the bait cover more ground.

What bait are you thinking of using, you can&#39;t use your flies&#33;&#33;  
</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Best times fer fishin can be very local but I&#39;ve found over the years that 1 hour before and a 2 hours after low water or 2 hours before and 1-2 hours after high water are a good starting point. Asking in a local tackle shop is a sound option.

All the best now you&#39;ve put away your whip, string and fluff.
</font>

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys, Iwas going tomorrow starting around nine a.m. which is 3 hrs b4 High tide. Bait I have is squid, mackerel strips, and I can pick up rag in the morning. Heard that g.g.mullet hang around the outflow of the power station also, which is not far from the beach, so I thought I might take fly rod down too, cast into the deeper water with static baits, and maybe use white bread for the mullet, with the fly rod. I might not catch much, but i should have an interesting day &#33;&#33; And hopefully I&#39;ll meet some guys there who can let me in on pollack spots of the rocks, you know, all that local knowledge that i&#39;ve always found invaluable in flyfishing. Tight lines &#33;, Nig aka Theoden</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Ive seen guys catching Thick Lipped Mullet on fly rods using a white fly, you can also catch the thin lipped on spinners baited with ragworm(replace the trebble with a single).
I&#39;ve done very little fly fishing, but &nbsp;I&#39;ve always fancied catching mackerel on a fly rod, I bet they would go like stink&#33;

Cheers
AL.</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts