World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there I'm trying to find the foil that's used on holographic lures preferably with fish scales but would consider without. As far as I'm aware the stuff has to be heated up with a heat gun but I'm hoping some of you clever folks on here will be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
I foil my own lures with heat transfer foil. It works for paper as it is meant for printing, it works on wood and it works on plastic. One thing it doesn't work on is metal. It is not a coat of sticky glue, it is dry with a minimal amount of whatever adhesive which has to be heated to a very high temperature while having pressure put on it to press it to the surface.

When I wanted to do a mepps blade I had to put a thin layer of a special glue I have for work on the blade and then press the foil on and leave it to set before peeling the film off. It worked after a fashion but isn't great.

Another way might be to iron the foil onto some onto paper or if it can take the heat an address label and then stick that onto the metal and then seal with epoxy. I haven't tried that but it should work.

What you are after is holographic transfer foil, For the quantities you would be wanting the best way is to buy one meter at a time so you can get various types for not a lot of money to try different styles. Google "holographic nail foil" or "holographic nail transfer foil".

This is the one I have been using quite a bit recently

Is has a massive amount of coloured iridescence but is basically silver when no light is falling on it. Several lure companies use this pattern.

http://www.sparkly-nails.co.uk/Silver-Camouflage-Holographic-Nail-Transfer-Foil-_p_1716.html

The seller is on holiday this week though.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I used to use this stuff. https://www.fancy-tapes.co.uk/all-tapes/decorative-tapes/micro-prismatic-len but it was a bit difficult to get it to take to the curves of my jigs, even with a hairdryer.
I now use holographic vinyl wrap from Ebay. The stuff they use to wrap cars with. Its more stretchy and takes to the curves better.
Doesn't have the prism effect, but you could airbrush fish scsles onto it if you could make or get hold of a stencil.
20180514_200706.jpg
Screenshot_2017-08-16-21-44-56.png

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to use this stuff. https://www.fancy-tapes.co.uk/all-tapes/decorative-tapes/micro-prismatic-len but it was a bit difficult to get it to take to the curves of my jigs, even with a hairdryer.
I now use holographic vinyl wrap from Ebay. The stuff they use to wrap cars with. Its more stretchy and takes to the curves better.
Doesn't have the prism effect, but you could airbrush fish scsles onto it if you could make or get hold of a stencil.
View attachment 1101387 View attachment 1101389
I love that bottom one is that with the micro-prismatic lens? did you buy it graduated or did you airbrush it as this is the effect I'm looking to achieve as I want to imitate a small herring?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I foil my own lures with heat transfer foil. It works for paper as it is meant for printing, it works on wood and it works on plastic. One thing it doesn't work on is metal. It is not a coat of sticky glue, it is dry with a minimal amount of whatever adhesive which has to be heated to a very high temperature while having pressure put on it to press it to the surface.

When I wanted to do a mepps blade I had to put a thin layer of a special glue I have for work on the blade and then press the foil on and leave it to set before peeling the film off. It worked after a fashion but isn't great.

Another way might be to iron the foil onto some onto paper or if it can take the heat an address label and then stick that onto the metal and then seal with epoxy. I haven't tried that but it should work.

What you are after is holographic transfer foil, For the quantities you would be wanting the best way is to buy one meter at a time so you can get various types for not a lot of money to try different styles. Google "holographic nail foil" or "holographic nail transfer foil".

Is has a massive amount of coloured iridescence but is basically silver when no light is falling on it. Several lure companies use this pattern.

http://www.sparkly-nails.co.uk/Silver-Camouflage-Holographic-Nail-Transfer-Foil-_p_1716.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thats nice mate im gonna try some of that. cheers for all your help :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I love that bottom one is that with the micro-prismatic lens? did you buy it graduated or did you airbrush it as this is the effect I'm looking to achieve as I want to imitate a small herring?
The blue is airbrushed. And yep, thats the micro prism stuff. The vinyl wrap on the green one is easier to work with though

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would agree with Pete and Tony. The normal, self-adhesive holiday tape can be quite thick and unweildy.

Tony, I've recently tried that holo tape too. Think I've four designs here as it was only peanuts.

Very thin, but quite crisp. Seems okay on flat surfaces. I just used a little spray varnish to the area and then sat the tape onto it. Appearance is quite good.

George

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank
I would agree with Pete and Tony. The normal, self-adhesive holiday tape can be quite thick and unweildy.

Tony, I've recently tried that holo tape too. Think I've four designs here as it was only peanuts.

Very thin, but quite crisp. Seems okay on flat surfaces. I just used a little spray varnish to the area and then sat the tape onto it. Appearance is quite good.

George
very much bud, is there any chance you could post a pic or two?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
View attachment 1101387 View attachment 1101389

just a thought to what paint do you use in the airbrush to keep it water resistant?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
By the way, That's 'holo' tape and not 'holiday' tape :confused2:

I use water-based acrylic paints and coat the lures with three coats of Bondaseal. Have used the 'paint, clear coat, paint, clear coat, clear coat' method too. Not sure if there's any benefit overall, but it does allow me to correct paint mistakes, as each layer is sealed as you go. Helps me as I'm a complete beginner with the airbrush.

Don't have any pics of lures with the new, thin, holo tape as yet. First time I've used it.

George

1 - 14 of 14 Posts