World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently moved my boat from Greatstone to Folkestone I am wondering what are the favourite areas for the imminent cod season in the Folkestone area?
I have had some pointers but these have been so vague as to be next to useless.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi Gibberfish, probably the most productive inshore cod grounds is the rough ground marks off the Metropole rocks, basicaly sand/mud mixed with areas of flint/rocky bottom. Anywhere from 1/2 mile to 1.5 miles off straight out from the Metropole Hotel on the Leas. You cannot go wrong as most of the charter boats will be cluttering this area up from now till the end of march!!!. Another spot worth trying is off the 'Horses Head' down in the Warren- this is basically off the big chalk fall at the end of the 'Black Wall'-the Dover end of the Warren, stay out about 1.5 miles, check Your sounder when running down to the mark and watch for the drop off from 60/70 ft to 80/95 ft, put the hook over at this point, not so prolific as the Metropole but always a better bet for a 'lunker' !! cheers mick-- skipper of 'Pisces'-Folkestone.:wheelchai

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mick, this is the kind of information I was after. If you dont mind, I will keep an eye out for you when I am at the harbour - I would like to row over and pick your brains some more. Alternatively, if you see me pottering about on "Sundog" in the outer harbour, swing by and say hello.

I would be interested to know if there are any boat angling clubs for the folkestone area.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've had some good days at the metropole rocks, makes a change to heading to Kerton! and a little more room!!!

How's the new boat going??
Sundog is going well - more comfortable but much slower than Kingfisher. Its nice to be able to sit out of the weather and have a fry up. After 5 months she's a well sorted boat, still a couple of minor adjustments - just need some weather now.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi again Gibberfish, the Seabrook Sea Anglers Association run 2 boat comps a month, some of us fish out from the harbour, some launch at Fishermans beach, Hythe. Swing by Mick's tackle Hythe next time you are down this way and get the full 'sp' and membership application from Pauline, cheers ,mick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts