World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again my friends

heading down to Hythe next month and looking to do a spot of fishing!

How is folkestone harbour fishing? will be staying right near princes palisade in Hythe so im planning on spending a tide on the beach, let me know if there is anything i should be thinking about

also im hoping to book a day out in a boat, just me and a friend but would need all the gear and stuff, wondering if anyone local to the area had any recomendations for a decent skipper with the good knowledge!

also going to be in Deal for a few days so could easily get a boat from Ramsgate too.

hope you are all well

JC

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just bumping this as the trip is a few weeks away

planning on doing a session at folkestone pier and the beach at Hythe

Sea fishing is a bit alien to me so im looking for what people are catching at the moment and the best methods to go after them

my only real sea fishing experience is a flapper rig of a harbour with a bit of squid or crab

·
Registered
Sonik Vader 15’ Abu gr6500
12 Posts
I’ve fished Deal and Hythe a few times recently off the beach. At Hythe couple of weeks ago using fresh lug worm fishing the tide up until slack I had dog fish, smooth hound, whiting and rockling. They were real babies though but I think they’re getting bigger now.

Yesterday down Deal beach right hand side of pier after the boats. Fishing few hours up and 2 hours down. Couple of nice dogfish, whiting and pouting. Was pretty windy and rough. Using mackerel and squid. The dogfish came as the tide was dropping and so did the biggest pouting all 3 being the biggest fish of the session.

Ive been using a pulley rig pennel size 2/0s and still manage to catch the little ones.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
amazing thanks!

is 2 hours up and 2 hours down a normal session for most places? i know different places have their ways

sounds like you had a decent time! ive only ever blanked the few times ive tried sea fishing

I'm getting pretty excited im not gonna lie! how far out do you cast? is there a sweet spot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Different venues fish different states of the tide better is what people say but I mostly fish low water to high tide and pack up as the tide starts leaving it. I think 2 up 2 down sounds pretty good thoughDeal fishes pretty well on the upcoming and on the down for me yesterday.

i try get some distance but you’ll catch however far out you get.Look into reading the beaches. I don’t know if deal being quite steep makes it harder but some beaches will tell you where the low points and high points are etc high points will create more resistance on the water which makes the waves choppy/roll over and deeper spots having less resistance on the incoming water will show and flatter water but I’m just learning this something worth looking into though!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really cant wait to give it a go, I live in London and been trapped here for Covid has been a nightmare, done a little fly fishing and went Pike hunting today which was fun

but the sea is definately calling me, im a bit nervous about getting there with all the gear but no idea

·
Registered
12 Posts
You’ll be fine I hardly ever blank at deal. I’m going deal on the weekend I’ll let you know how it goes. I’d recommend some lug worm when you go, used lug the most but fish and squid still catches.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sure I heard that you can only fish the pier on certain days... might be worth a call to a local tackle shop.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Just had a look on the Dover sea angling website. Looks like the pier is open to fishing 9am to 5pm 7days a week but with certain restrictions. Check it out Josh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts