World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Folkestone to Hythe beach shingle replenishment scheme 20th September to 13th Octobe

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  SparseFisher 
#1 ·
Hi Guys and Lassies, As promised here are the dates and scedule of works for the shingle dumping operations at the venues in the header.
For those that do not know or realise ,the beach's from Fishermans beach Hythe to the Rotunda Car park at Folkestone are not natural beach's, they are man made to a greater extent, having been put in place as shore defences to overcome rising sea levels some 12 years ago,
Twice a year the local council, Shepway D.C. have to employ a contractor to move shingle from an East to West direction, in this area ,the result of long shore drift.
At the end of this process the beach is then leveled and graded. This work neccessatates closing certain sections of beach to the public on grounds of health and safety.
On the up side this work is carried out only during daylight hours, evening/night and weekend fishing should not be affected
Having spoken to the helpfull council officers today ,they have given me the provisional dates for each section closure, here listed below. There are 2 gangs working simultaniously from opposite directions.!

Gang 1

20th to 24th September-Fishermans Beach ,Hythe, to the Stade Street ,Hythe groyne.-Encompassing West Parade.

25th to 30th September-Stade Street groyne Hythe to Twiss Road groyne ,Hythe.-Encompassing Marine Parade.

1st to 13th October,-Twiss Groyne, Hythe, to Battery Point groyne (the Murco or 'Grub' groyne),Seabrook.- Encompassing the whole of Princes Parade.

Gang 2

20th to 24th September-Rotunda Beach car park, Folkestone ,to the Mermaid Rocks groyne.-Encompassing the Lower Leas Toll Road, Folkestone.

25th to 30th September-Mermaid Rocks groyne to the new 'Dogleg groyne' below the Metropole Hotel, Folkestone. -Encompassing the lower Leas Toll Road (West)

1st to 8th October- 'Dogleg groyne' Metropole Rocks to Battery Point Groyne Seabrook.- Encompassing the Metropole Rocks, The Riviera beach, Pooley's ,Sandgate Castle ,Sandgate Rowing club, The Sandgate War memorial, Sandgate Hotel, 'Sunnyside' and 'Bar Vassa' beach's.

Access to these beach's will be restricted during the weekday daylight hours on these dates .

Access will not be restricted during weekends over these dates.

The council chaps ressured me that if we have any competitions booked for these dates it will ,if at all possible, be able to accomodate anglers on these sections ,at the discretion of the contractor and the availabillity and control of the contractors 'banksmen'.
Any match organiser with a comp on these sections/dates please pm me for contact details.

Could You put this up as a 'Tempory Sticky' until the end of the work schedule please Simon ?, Many Thanks, Mick.

See less See more
#8 ·
Cheers for the update, as i will be heading down there during them dates. I remember last year, the ****ers kicked us off the beach at 9 in the morning as they was sodding about moving the shingle around, wernt to bothered as was about to pack up anyway.

#9 ·
Contractors Plant arrived at the 'grub groyne' over the weekend, Work starts tomorow, Having said that i have never seen the beach on Princes Parade look as flat as it is now, don't expect this section might take as long as planned, if they do finish this section early then the other section workings may possibly be advanced, keep you posted, cheers, mick.

#10 ·
It all appear's to be on target, they started on Princes Parade yesterday, a bit ahead of schedule, so hopefully they will have finished the job by the 13th, cheers all, mick.

#12 ·
Areas now completed are, 1-Fisherman's Beach to Stade Street Groyne,
2-Stade Street groyne to Hotel Imperial Groyne,
3-Mermaid Rocks section,
4-Riviera rocks to Sandgate rowing club section.
Sections being worked on now are-Princes Parade to Battery Point/Grub groyne section and from Sandgate Rowing club to Battery Point/Grub Groyne section, cheers all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.