World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished fontygary this morning, 2 up 2 down with sandeel, squid, mack and rag. out of the three of us, i had one bite! ( t'was a cracker though )

very very slow. take note, be VERY CAREFUL there, about an hour after high water some of the cliff face fell off, missed us by about 10 yards..... very big boulders! i pooped myself, picked up my kit and ran the cliff wall as fast as my little legs would carry me to safety. i'll fish the beach next time!

planning another trip sunday night, high water approx 10.30.... any one with any ideas? was planning on either going to the knap or to porthcawl.... any info would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
370 Posts
hi dw173288

Where about in fonty were you fishing, was it from the fishermans ledge, just to the left of the path down to the beach?
What other fish have you caught or heard being caught off fonty?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah was fishing on the ledges on the left of the path by the caravan park. we were situated on the bend under the cliff face about 20 yards from the path (in front of the small shingle beach ) when the cliffs decided to crumble. very dangerous, water is spilling through those rocks and making the cliff behind you unstable.

as for the fishing, i'm not sure of whats being caught. dont hear much about the font, all i can say is that we went about 4 weeks ago and had a few pouting and a 2lb pollack, all of which came off mackerel strip on pennel rigs

·
Registered
370 Posts
how far were you casting out?
did you get any fish last time you went, you said you had a bite?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, as stated had a very good bite but i struck too early and lost it. no fish were landed today.

as for distance, your talking approx 60 yds ish with my fixed spool and about 120y with the 525, as its awkward to get a good cast due to limited room for a swing

its very snaggy all across the ledges, so we were using 60lb trace and i had a few spark plugs/small pebble weights in my tackle box. i wouldnt use breakaways down there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i read that the ground is much more tackle friendly than from the beach itself, so thats obviously not true.
I work in a pub so i have been asking people how its fishing and a few days ago, a local came in who i know fishes and he said that his friend recently caught 2 cod off the ledges!
But ive yet to hear any other catches of cod off the ledges.
In the summer what is spinning like off the ledges to the right of where we are talking about?
I would think that it would be quite good for bass?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure. it should be quite good there in the summer, its only recently i have found the mark. there were a few guys fishing the actual cliff this morning, instead of going down the steps onto the ledges, follow the path upwards into the caravan park towards the end of the cliff. they had no joy

not my cup of tea, it's got to be a 100ft drop off that.

interesting to hear about the cod, apart from us, there was one other guy there today, and he was blasting it out, a good 150-180 yards, and he had 3lb!!!! of lug with him, but he also blanked. his plan was to fish all the way down to low.

as for the snags, i find it very heavy on tackle, a big weight and more than two hooks, and its nearly impossible to bring the trace back in, the ledges are very smooth, but they shelve off and you get caught on the shelves.

·
Registered
370 Posts
my friends fish off the cliff, dont know if they have caught anything, i live close to the fontygary so getting there is not a problem, i have actually never fished rhoose although i have heard lot about it. in the summer rhoose and abethaw are brilliant for bass, as the power station pumps out loads of hot water (when the chimney is smoking) into the channel, encouraging the bass to come in. rhoose point is also a good mark which is very close by.
I may go next high tide to fonty, its worth a go!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
definately worth a go, i wish you all the best. hope you have a better time than me, and watch those rocks!!! maybe i'll buy one of those hard hats builders wear...... there must be some on ebay!

·
Registered
370 Posts
ha ha
Cheers mate, ill get back to you with the report!

Happy New Year

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fished a couple of hours down fonty friday, no luck, had one bite though but nothing to show for it. have you ever fished rhoose point?

I might try off the cliff next week!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts