World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Weevers can be eaten if prepared correctly I think. Otherwise I think everythink can be eaten, but would you try Wrasse? Lol

Ben

G

·
Weevers can be eaten if prepared correctly I think. Otherwise I think everythink can be eaten, but would you try Wrasse? Lol

Ben
A lot of people eat wrasse.

Personally I find it boney and bitter, but some of our less fussy continental cousins think it is great.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

Ben

You should try wrasse sometime, it's really good, tastes like the shellfish it feeds on.
Sandeel is supposed to taste pretty dreadful.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi,
I think Sun Fish are poisonous to humans, their skin is covered in god knows what and their internal organs full of neurotoxins. I think it is also illegal to sell them due to being toxic.
Gary

·
Registered
901 Posts
What about rockling.They look as though they should taste like S~#*#
According to "The Observer's Book Of Sea Fishes", page 82, (1959 edition, reprinted 1966):

"...Although the flesh is quite palatable it does not appear to be used as food."

On the strength of that, I gave a couple to a friend, and persuaded him to try them. He said they tasted fine. He is still alive and kicking, a year or so after eating them, so they can't do you any harm.

Even so, I still don't fancy trying them myself.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
You should try wrasse sometime, it's really good, tastes like the shellfish it feeds on.
Sandeel is supposed to taste pretty dreadful.

you're having a laugh are'nt you:unsure:.tried them 31 yrs ago and can remember how intensely disgusting they were.nobody else liked them either:uhuh:

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
back in the good old days was it mr blankerman he he tight lines

think it was manx humour,as we were in the isle of man and the locals reckoned they were good eating.was good fishing there though,even as a 10yr old it was possible to catch loads of fish from the harbour and off the rocks...and the wrestling with king (as in ferking huge) rag in the harbour..ah those were the days:wheelchai

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
you're having a laugh are'nt you:unsure:.tried them 31 yrs ago and can remember how intensely disgusting they were.nobody else liked them either:uhuh:

Well maybe you should try revisiting something that you didn't like 31 years ago, it's possible your tastes have changed from WAY back then. Do you actually remember it tasting of shellfish?

Maybe my years of working in a fish restaurant and my ability to cook quite well make the difference? Maybe it's something in the continental genes that makes them consider it a delicacy and the same thing that prevents the English from considering it good?

Try it, it won't kill you and tastes really really good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts