World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alwright lads, gonna try the foreshore tonight again, feels a little colder 2day, not really cold enough thow, but we keep trying. will report back later, tide 8. 47 pm so i av been told. anybody got a tide table, let me know if thats right tide for cardiff. thanx guys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good luck l8ter poacher,
went out on Satuarday morn down the ranny, had one conger all morn bout 4lb mark, not much for getting up at 4.30!
Gunna leave it till wednesday now, any news of catches in Barry (Nap or Nells point?)?
JD

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I HAVENT HEARD ANY NEWS ON BARRY M8. U WERE UP BLOODY EARLY 4 AN EEL. THAT WAS A BAD 1, RECKON THE FISH OWE U, LET U NO WHAT HAPPENS LATER M8......

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 CODLING VARIOUS BIG WHITING, LOVELY WHITING, THE 1S U LIKE 2 CATCH. WEATHER BRILLIANT. NO COAT, NO SUIT. BLOODY GOOD EVENING LADS. COD 3 AND A HALF AND JUST UNDER 5LB. REALLY PLEASED I WENT. WATER CALM. ONLY ABOUT 3 OTHER ANGLERS ON THE WHOLE OF THE FORESHORE, CAUGHT ON RAG AND SQUID COCKTAIL. REALLY PLEASED. HAVING A LAGER, AND A MADRAS 2 CELEBRATE A GOOD 1 LADS....

·
Registered
129 Posts
:(
Hi Poacher,
I got back an hour ago from the foreshore, got there an hour before high tide and fished for ages and only a couple of bites to show for it! BUT!!!! I'm a complete novice at this kind of fishing and have only started fishing in the area. Tonight I just fished fished in front of the car park, was using rag and squid. I have fished there a couple of time since taking up shore fishing ( though I have been a fly fisherman and boat angler at home in Ireland, and we did a lot of spinning off the rocks for pollock etc.) but I have blanked each time. Could you maybe gime me some tips about fishing the foreshore, ie the area you fished tonight and what baits hook sizes to use etc.? I'm definately not giving up (just spent a fair bit on some kit) but it would be nice to have a bit of local advice. Cheers,
Penn

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI PENN WELCOME TO THE SITE MATE, YES I DID FLY FISHING FOR YEARS, TILL MY BUDDY PASSED AWAY, HAVENT BEEN SINCE. WHERE DID U PARK ON THE FORESHORE, COS THERE ISNT REALLY A CAR PARF THERE.FACTORIES, OR SECURITY GATES. IF U TELL ME WHAT IT WAS LIKE WHERE U PARKED I CAN GIVE U SOME TIPS OF WHERE 2 GO, THE FISH R LIKING A LOT OF SQUID, AND WITH RAG OFCOURSE. BUT WHEN COD R IN PROPERLY I USE LUG AND SQUID.I WOULD LIKE TO FATHOM OUT WHERE U FISHED SO THAT I CAN B SURE U WERE ON THE FORESHORE, I HAVE NEVER IN 37 YEARS HEARD A MENTION OF A CAR PARK. OR DO U MEAN WHERE U PARKED YOUR CAR M8. GET BAK 2 ME AND I WILL SORT U OUT....

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BY THE WAY, THE BAIT U USED IS WHAT I WOULD USE SO THATS NO PROB. 5/0 HOOK SHARP MUSTAD OR SIMILAR X2. WEIGHT ON BOTTOM. BUT WHEN COD R IN I USE 1 HOOK. 3FOOT TRACE, WITH SLIDING WEIGHT ABOVE IT. I MEAN THIS 1 HOOK METHOD IS WHAT I USE WHEN I KNOW THE COD R IN.I HAD SOME LOVELY WHITING 1 HOUR B4 HIGH WATER, BUT I ALWAYS STAY TILL 3 HOURS AFTER IF THE WATER STAYS IN FOR ME TO CARRY ON FISHING. AS IT DID LAST NITE. THE COD I HAD STRAIGHT AFTER 1 ANOTHER ABOUT 1 HOUR AFTER TIDE.I USUALLY FISH THE WALL WHICH IS A HELL OF A TREK, THAT IS ALMOST AS FAR AS U CAN WALK 2 YOUR RIGHT AS U HIT THE BEACH. BUT THAT HASNT BEEN PRODUCING. SO I FISH THE SEWER MOSTLY. THATS IN THE SAME DIRECTION, STILL A BIT OF A TREK, BUT NOT AS FAR AS THE WALL.. I GOTA GO AND CLEAN SOME FISH, CHAT SOON M8..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi jd. r u goin early again, u no what happened last early 1 u had, yesa sodding eel. night time better down shore m8. i am goin 2moro nite. i need more cod in my freezer, cos i is a greedy bugger, heehee. yes it was a good night, really glad i made effort. hope u do well m8. what part u going.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lo Poacher,
Thanks for your reply and advice. Looks like I maybe wasn't on the foreshore at all!? The place I was parked was at the gates of the water treatment plant then I walked through a disused car park to the shore, loads of large concrete rubble etc. I think I know where you suggest I park, (it's in a little blue tide book I got from the tackle shop), but the maps aren't that clear. I think I'll go during the day at low tide to try and find the sewer pipe you mention. Can't go tonight unfortunately, but you are right last night was a great evening for fishing, might have helped if I had fished the right place mind you, but as a keen beginner I enjoyed it anyway. I'm glad I found this site tho, at least I can keep an eye on things. Funny, when I got there last night there was nobody else there, and I thought "everybody must have a reason for not bothering fishing tonight", yet along the foreshore you were happily catching yourself some nice fish!! Anyway I'm determined to keep going, and advice from people like yourself is a great help so thanks again. By the way I might see you down there sometime. I'm easy to spot, I'm the one with all the new kit, making that weird snapping sound about every second cast :rolleyes:
anyway catch you later mate and thanks again
Penn

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
penn, every 1 got 2 learn sometime, and somehow. but with fishing the more u go the quicker u learn. its a great hobby/sport whatever u want 2 call it. as 2 where u park, come out of the water treatment works road. turn left, go down to what looks like the last roundabout till on your left u see a security manned gate and hut.drive down 2wards the security gates and take the left turn just b4 u go through the gates. new factories being built, take your 1st left again around the back of the units, follow short bendy road till u come 2 the last factory on your right, park anywhere opposite the last factory, there will b cars there cos people work in them. walk to the front of the factory[THE 1 ON THE RIGHT] go to the left all away round the back of the factory, theres a little path made of chippings, loads of fagbuts by factory bak doors, where they av a break for a fag, go to end of factory and walk on mud path on left which takes u 2 foreshore beach. walk towards orange pole on beach, its called the monkey pole, then keep goin past it 4 at least half a mile or even more,u have to walk on beach thow cos path is collapsed up top, keep going till u find a sewer outlet, this outlet is usually dry. but u can fish anywhere on the beach u like, quite stony and rocky, but after the stones theres mud when u cast out far enough. 60 yards or so. or u can walk further again and fish off the boulders up the top. this is known as the wall. u wont or shouldnt lose tackle here, u r fishing on mostly mud, hope this helps, my fingers r falling off now. owwwwqwwwww....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Cheers Poacher,
Hope to go there in a couple of days (nights I mean)I'll let you know how I get on.
Penn ;)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no probs m8.... jd i am goin 2 try some cuttlefish 2moro from market, let u no if anything grabs m8..........

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanksclive m8 very much. i do need 1. i been meaning to get 1 since january. heehee. very handy..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi poacher I have never fished the foreshore on high water, I have always fished it 3hrs down and 3hrs back up, have to give it a go, as soon as i get a chance one weekend we will have to meet, and give it a try with you. ok
alan

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi alan dont no what u mean when u said u fished 3 hrs down then 3 hrs bak up m8.when u fish it down the waters gone for a good few hours/ i am going tonight 10.20ish tide and will not leave there till about 1 am ish. might b a wee coldish have to take my suit. i carried my suit the other night and i sat there in my shirt all night, that was monday night. my suits heavy to carry, i hate carrying the thing. but never no when it will come in handy. you want 2 try fishing shore 3 hrs b4 and 3 after. i try 2 stay as long as i can till theres only a couple of feet of water showing.. but i do find the best time is top tide and 2 hours after..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts