World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a week of preparing rigs for some bream fishing on the Purbecks, I decided last minute yesterday that I didn't fancy the idea of standing on my own in a quarry which is renowned for crumbling during periods of heavy rain. I left my house still undecided where to fish, but after hitting some traffic on my way to the tackle shop, adding 1 hour on to my journey, I decided I would keep it local (ish).

I ended up at Southbourne, a section of beach that I haven't fished before. 3 rods were deployed from the off, 2 x up and over plaice rigs with big rag/lug worm baits and 1 x long pulley with floating beads and squid strips to try and tempt a garfish.

I sat listening to the footie trying to decide whether I could see a small bite on one of my rods, in between the strong gusts of wind. Eventually I picked up the rod and struck, and was pleased to feel a weight on the end.

Final edit5-4.jpg

An hour or 2 passed and I was starting to feel the cold, until a small tap on my gar fish rig had me on my feet in a shot. After retrieving what felt like 200 yards of braid, I eventually caught a glimpse of the gar fish. I took a quick picture and returned it, but after the fish beached itself for the 10th time, to the excitement of every sea gull within a 5 mile radius, I decided to keep it for my rocky excursion next weekend.

Final edit5-5.jpg

Thick cloud was forecast all afternoon so I had decided to leave my DSLR at home, and what a mistake that was!!!! I don't think I have ever witnessed such an epic sunset. I took a picture on my phone but it really doesn't do it justice.

Final edit5.jpg

As I was reeling in my last plaice rig to replace it with a ray/turbot rig, I felt a much better weight on the end. I wasn't 100% it was a fish, as there was a bit of weed in the water, but was happy to find a slightly bigger plaice on the end at 1lb 6oz.

Final edit5-7.jpg

I stuck around for a short while trying to tempt a ray or a sole, without success.
Surprisingly, even the pout weren't biting...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hope you got a day pass from @southbourner . He gets cobby if you fish his patch! The sunsets there are just amazing. I reckon I need to work on my distance to get a plaice there, now you have proved they are there. Nice one mate. As for the pout I did my best to scare them away and clear the way for you on my last visit! Well done.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hope you got a day pass from @southbourner . He gets cobby if you fish his patch! The sunsets there are just amazing. I reckon I need to work on my distance to get a plaice there, now you have proved they are there. Nice one mate. As for the pout I did my best to scare them away and clear the way for you on my last visit! Well done.
Grrrrr, get off my land.................

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
After a week of preparing rigs for some bream fishing on the Purbecks, I decided last minute yesterday that I didn't fancy the idea of standing on my own in a quarry which is renowned for crumbling during periods of heavy rain. I left my house still undecided where to fish, but after hitting some traffic on my way to the tackle shop, adding 1 hour on to my journey, I decided I would keep it local (ish).

I ended up at Southbourne, a section of beach that I haven't fished before. 3 rods were deployed from the off, 2 x up and over plaice rigs with big rag/lug worm baits and 1 x long pulley with floating beads and squid strips to try and tempt a garfish.

I sat listening to the footie trying to decide whether I could see a small bite on one of my rods, in between the strong gusts of wind. Eventually I picked up the rod and struck, and was pleased to feel a weight on the end.

View attachment 1122503

An hour or 2 passed and I was starting to feel the cold, until a small tap on my gar fish rig had me on my feet in a shot. After retrieving what felt like 200 yards of braid, I eventually caught a glimpse of the gar fish. I took a quick picture and returned it, but after the fish beached itself for the 10th time, to the excitement of every sea gull within a 5 mile radius, I decided to keep it for my rocky excursion next weekend.

View attachment 1122505

Thick cloud was forecast all afternoon so I had decided to leave my DSLR at home, and what a mistake that was!!!! I don't think I have ever witnessed such an epic sunset. I took a picture on my phone but it really doesn't do it justice.

View attachment 1122509

As I was reeling in my last plaice rig to replace it with a ray/turbot rig, I felt a much better weight on the end. I wasn't 100% it was a fish, as there was a bit of weed in the water, but was happy to find a slightly bigger plaice on the end at 1lb 6oz.

View attachment 1122507

I stuck around for a short while trying to tempt a ray or a sole, without success.
Surprisingly, even the pout weren't biting...
nice few fish, cracking sunset!

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,649 Posts
Thats really good going and pleased to see the plaice there in particular , i have fished this stretch a few times lately at night with little happening .

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well done mate . I'm hoping to get out this weekend but at the moment the weather isn't looking good . Want to fish Abbotsbury maybe again

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well done mate . I'm hoping to get out this weekend but at the moment the weather isn't looking good . Want to fish Abbotsbury maybe again
Are you mad haha!!!!!!!!!
These are probably the best conditions we've had all year, and at the best time of year.
Grab the waterproofs and slay some beasts :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am going pal just don't no if to fish late night Saturday or early morning Sunday. Even tho seem to be caught early morning lol if just answered it lol

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going pal just don't no if to fish late night Saturday or early morning Sunday. Even tho seem to be caught early morning lol if just answered it lol
Saturday is looking good atm if you can clear the breakers.
I've caught over 90% of my cod in daylight so that would be my choice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts