World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was away on Friday, so I decided to take the day off work and shoot down to see my family down near Polruan - which extended into three days of fishing.

Started off at 5am and drove down to Plymouth - Mountbatten - with the intention of bagging a few mackerel for bait and breakfast, but the wind was up and the fish were away.

Had a garfish on floatfished sandeel which saved the blank. Tried float, spinner and ledgering but there was nothing else doing - the only other person there had nothing more than a bite or two.

Through sheer luck I packed up seconds before a huge downpour of rain started, and then drove down to Cornwall for a welcome (but fishless) breakfast before going out to dig a few ragworm, with a couple of surprise lug appearing for good measure. I took my brother and cousin down to the traditional family mark and set them both up with my gear and we all settled down fishing. Predictably, they both caught (mackerel and pollack on frozen sandeel and rag respectively) whereas I caught nothing.

Another 5am start on Saturday morning, and down to the same mark for the same type fishing - but I actually caught a few this time. We were float fishing on spinning rods which was great sport with the mackerel especially.

Walked across a few fields to a beach for some rock fishing, but it was too rough to get near enough to the water so we had a couple of casts, lost a rig and gave up.

A quick trip into Looe - absurdly busy - to stock up on some gear, and then down to a mark just upriver from Polruan where it was calm and we had a chance of a few bass and mackerel. After a lot of experimenting with depth we had some more mackerel and pollack on spinner and float.

I recently found out that a member of my family owns a boat, which I didn't even know about, so we all went out on that Sunday - and rocked about outside Fowey harbour between Gribbin and Pencarrow Head - nothing more exciting than a few pollack.

It was pretty rough, and as the early morning starts combined with late-night cider were catching up with me, I kindly supplied fresh groundbait on a regular basis. First time I've been sick on a boat and I even forgot to do my "tossed a small buoy off the side" joke.

Nothing spectacular, no fish worth photographing, but a really nice three days of fishing with the family, and my grandmother's freezer is now fully stocked.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
Sounds like you had some good sport,was the water in the fowey coloured up from the recent rain????

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yokelrobin.... aka. "Pollack basher" :bye1:

Nice few days by the sound of things mate. Better then being stuck indoors working. :thumbs:
Each time the float went under I was convinced the next one was going to be bigger, but it never was.

Meant to add - the place we fished on the Saturday night I hooked something pretty decent - may well have been a bass, as it fought hard and just as I got it so it was almost in sight we saw a flash of silver and it vanished off the hook.

cfish - it was fairly coloured, but that was the first time I have fished 'inland' there, so I can't say what it was like compared to normal.

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
Each time the float went under I was convinced the next one was going to be bigger, but it never was.

Meant to add - the place we fished on the Saturday night I hooked something pretty decent - may well have been a bass, as it fought hard and just as I got it so it was almost in sight we saw a flash of silver and it vanished off the hook.

cfish - it was fairly coloured, but that was the first time I have fished 'inland' there, so I can't say what it was like compared to normal.
Cheers mate,was thinking of "rocking around" in the fowey mouth on wednesday if its dodgy further out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate,was thinking of "rocking around" in the fowey mouth on wednesday if its dodgy further out.
If you draw a straight line between Pencarrow Head and Gribbin Head, we didn't go out any further than that. Drifted about with mackerel strips and feathers, and picked up a couple with a handline when we were moving from one spot to the next. Nothing spectacular though, as I said.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Three photos below - first on the Friday evening when it was pretty rough, second early on the Saturday morning, and my brother regretting wearing wellies (I did warn him) when he couldn't climb up the cliff properly!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
:fishing1::thumbs:
If you draw a straight line between Pencarrow Head and Gribbin Head, we didn't go out any further than that. Drifted about with mackerel strips and feathers, and picked up a couple with a handline when we were moving from one spot to the next. Nothing spectacular though, as I said.
thats a shame, you missed out on drifting a nice piece of wreck and rocky ground i've had pollack to 11lb there and in 60 ft of water they go like hell.Aj.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:fishing1::thumbs:

thats a shame, you missed out on drifting a nice piece of wreck and rocky ground i've had pollack to 11lb there and in 60 ft of water they go like hell.Aj.
We knew there was one somewhere there, but not sure where, and didn't have any hi-tech stuff with us to find it. We did go over some nice rocky ground for sure, but there was just nothing happening. Next time maybe :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts