World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished a lovely little spot last night called Fox Hole, got there around 4pm and fished till around 8.

Fishing was slow for a while and conditions were hard, a big incoming tide and quite a big swell. I was putting out big baits mostly Mackerel fillets on a single size 4/0 hook running ledger. My first bite was a big one, after a good scrap and a bit of carful manucering around the rocks I landed a Common Eel (Anguilla anguilla) (see pic). It must have been pushing 2 lbs, it was over 2 foot long and as thick as a cucumber! time passed and all was quiet. I had lost a few rigs in the rocks and weed so put on a 2 hook rotten battom rig, size 1 hooks baited with small strips of mackerel. A few casts later (just after high tide) I had another bite, it didn't seem like much at first but then it took off. I landed a Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) (see pic) it was just on legal size but as it was only lightly hooked I did the honourable thing gave it a quick kiss on the head and let him go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Looks like a baby conger. Try the finger test next time - if it won't let go and hurts a lot - it's a conger.

Well done bud.

Rhod.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If im not mistaken the place is one bay back from 3cliffs, you can get to it by walking around the back of the 3cliff stuctures [the arches etc] back towards oxwich. Been down there once, was thinking about going back to the car and grabbing the spinning rod that i put in the boot in the morning, but my misses said i had no chance...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You park up in the national trust car park south of Southgate and its the bay in front of you. There is a good (but steep) path down to the bay.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Fished a lovely little spot last night called Fox Hole, got there around 4pm and fished till around 8.

Fishing was slow for a while and conditions were hard, a big incoming tide and quite a big swell. I was putting out big baits mostly Mackerel fillets on a single size 4/0 hook running ledger. My first bite was a big one, after a good scrap and a bit of carful manucering around the rocks I landed a Common Eel (Anguilla anguilla) (see pic). It must have been pushing 2 lbs, it was over 2 foot long and as thick as a cucumber! time passed and all was quiet. I had lost a few rigs in the rocks and weed so put on a 2 hook rotten battom rig, size 1 hooks baited with small strips of mackerel. A few casts later (just after high tide) I had another bite, it didn't seem like much at first but then it took off. I landed a Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) (see pic) it was just on legal size but as it was only lightly hooked I did the honourable thing gave it a quick kiss on the head and let him go.
Well done on your fishing mate also nice to see your have found the fox hole tight lines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts