World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I had some success this year fishing live prawns under a float from my small boat. Due to my mooring situation, my season is coming to an end now but I’m already thinking about next year and how I can do better.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is that a prawn might look more natural freelined rather than being tethered under a float. How well would a prawn swim with a hook through it’s tail though? I guess it’d have to be a fine wire hook, any recommendations?

Would I be able to start off with a pure freeline early in the tide and add weight as the tide started to run? How much weight are we talking here, I guess that’s going to influence that ‘natural’ presentation.

Would really appreciate as many thoughts or experiences as possible. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
You not to say the target species.?!

To secure the prawn with elastic or cotton to the hook would to be better than to hook it. You to be looking at a fine wire hook to be allowing it to swim properly given the weight but you will to get movement from it that to attract more fish with a heavier gauge and a float.
They not to be the strongest swimmers so to suspend up into the water column with a hook i to suspect to be too much for proper active swimming. Tail thrashing and to get some movement through the eater with their legs yes.
Unless you to get very large live prawns round your way?

Fyi You can to do the same with live crab, to just bind the back legs with the hook and to allow it to continue to crawl around. Prawn will to act much the same onto the seabed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
A few years ago I was working in Norway and managed to borrow a spinning rod and reel to fish in the local harbour . A local told me they would fish for pollack and coley using cooked prawn , which you could by frozen from the supermarket. So I set up after work and give it a go with and without a float .. No luck until a young lad came along and set me up. he put a size 1 hook on the end of the line , peeled a prawn and put it on and cast it in .. Bang .... a coley of about foot long... It was a bit akward trying to cast it in , but it would slowly sink and then get hit by the fish, It helped to be on freeline through my fingers until it either hit the bottom or the a fish took it. I caught a small cod as well . I did try it with a shell on prawn ... no takes until I took the shell off. I also tried with a small wieght to cast more easily but again the best was a hook and peeled prawn.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I once heard an Audio Angling interview with the now retired commercial rod and line bass fisherman Dave Pakes where he mentioned freelining live prawns on inshore rock marks so it must be an effective method.
It can to be deadly for fish, so you to be on the right track.
When you to speak of freelining, i to think of a livebait who can to go where it wants and just to be onto a line. In order to combat hook weight and drag a nice big prawn to give you the best swimming whilst onto a hook.

·
Super Moderator
11,031 Posts
I used to fish every year in Florida from the shore with live shrimp using only a split shot weighing the bait down. It caught a myriad of species including some really big snook and jacks. Catches diminished notably when I tried to anchor it to the bottom. I learnt quickly from the locals.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I used to fish every year in Florida from the shore with live shrimp using only a split shot weighing the bait down. It caught a myriad of species including some really big snook and jacks. Catches diminished notably when I tried to anchor it to the bottom. I learnt quickly from the locals.
Love this.
I to of used a simple gilling rig to good effect, you can to then place anywhere you to want into the watercolumn and to suit lead to tide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts