World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my fishing time is severely restricted due to family commitments etc so when Im able to go its likely to be at the drop of a hat. With this in mind what are the best baits to stock the ol freezer up with so I have bait ready to go if needed? I appreciate its not gonna be anywhere near as good as fresh kit but is there anything worth freezing?

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
I always have the following in the freezer:

Black lug.
Squid.
Bluey.

In the winter I also have cuttlefish.

This is pretty well all I use from the freezer, but will occasionally have some queenies and razors I've picked up after a storm plus some crab left over from summer.

Some lads use uncooked prawns, especially in the Thames.

·
Registered
266 Posts
But don't forget to label your bait properly.

On Monday the current Mrs Runnerman came up with frozen black stir fry, wouldn't mind but it costs more than chicken!

Was okay though. Satay sauce on noodles really worked well with it!!

S

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
But don't forget to label your bait properly.

On Monday the current Mrs Runnerman came up with frozen black stir fry, wouldn't mind but it costs more than chicken!
Squid, mackerel and prawns!!! the wife is threatening me with a meal to get rid of the bait in the fridge.

I hate eating seafish. Only Pollack and chip shop haddock :help:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Black Lug Stir Fry! I have taken 1kg of frozen bacon Pieces
fishing insted of frozen squid try the fish counter at the local
supermarket they reduce the prices late on

noddynigel106

·
Registered
147 Posts
black lug buy them frozen and just put them straight in the freezer ...

razor fish
squid
mackerel
mussel
prawns
sandeels
sprat (freeze in salt should keep for a while iv no probs with mine)
peeler crab

these baits either frozen or not will catch you most species all year round ..also if you have the time just pick your own mussels and put a few on a bait needle then wrap them with elastic thread great for cocktails......

anyway good luck and tight lines.....

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
If you only get blue moon chances to buy or dig your worms .

You can always buy some worms , use what is needed for the session , then salt & store the remainder in the freezer in freezer bags in an iced cream tub.

Use the site search facility to look up the salting , sorting out and freezing method that suits you .

This Sunday I found what was nearly a pound of rather large lug that I salted etc. over 18 months ago & bunged in an ice cream tub. They look a bit dessicated, are like frosted All Bran , the one I trialed in fresh water re hydrated OK and was good enough to bung on a hook.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive got to say, you can't really beat fresh bait, the fresher the better. However, sometimes of course it just has to be frozen bait.

Try to go for the baits that freeze best in other words defrost into a reasonable bait later.

The only freezer baits I would tend to have are:

Crab (delunged wrapped individually)
Ammo Sandeel. (Best quality you'll get)
Mackeral (freshly caught ideally and then straight home to the freezer)
Boxes of Calemari Squid (again good quality and a very versatile bait)
Decent Black lug (the mistake people sometimes make is they freeze down the left overs of their lug (sometimes even blow lug) which when defosted tend to turn either to mush or goes like a long stretchy ladies tight)
Finally Razors and clams freeze well also.

Hope that helps a little.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
656 Posts
One Friday, I put two hundred 'blows' in my school fridge - packed in newspaper and in a plain blue plastic bag (heading off when the bell rang!).

A very petite young lady teacher in my Dept., left her lunch in a similar plastic bag and come school day's end, she absconded with my worms, leaving me her empty tupperware cartons.

Monday was not a pretty affair!

:wallbash:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts