World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
What's the best way to freeze peeler? Do you de shell then freeze? Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi mate, i always peel mine and gill them, wrap them individually in cling film and freeze, works for me !!
thanks mate when u say gill them do u mean remove the lungs?

Reactions: Tony Halifax

·
Registered
463 Posts
I freeze them whole and they come out as good as fresh ones. Provided they were alive when you freeze them that is. If they're already dead then you're wasting your time. I put them in the freezer in a pot together for half an hour to send them off to sleep. Them wrap them up individually in cling film to keep the air out. Job don't, no mess.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What's the best way to freeze peeler? Do you de shell then freeze? Cheers Paul.
I've recently been using crab that I froze last June. I wait until the shell is lifting then pop them live into a zip top bag and into the freezer. You can't freeze them any fresher! No removing shell or lungs they were perfect!

To bait up I let them thaw a little or dip them into sea water to thaw a little so I can peel the shell and I don't bother getting off every little bit of shell. They go on to the hook frozen and the bait elastic squeezes the juice out as they thaw in the water.

If you have any crab die on you, store them in the same way but keep them separate from the good crab. They will still catch fish. Lat time I was out fishing for smoothies I took some of the frozen dead crabs with me. I baited up with one which was really high. Within five minutes of casting it out I had a good smoothie on it!

·
Registered
15,300 Posts
Can anybody give a good, reason for removing crab lungs?
I have read elsewhere that the lungs dont taste too good to a fish, where has this come from ? Is it a load of Codswallop ?

I will bet that not one angler, ever, has heard a fish say that Crab lungs taste bad, and whats more, never will !

Do Fish that eat Peeler they find for themselves spend time painstakingly removing the lungs before eating the crab...... NO....... then why do we ?

I will bet its because some "well respected" match angler decided one day to write an article on how crab lungs put fish off, and he has been laughing since.

Anyway, now thats off my chest, I am off to peel a few Crabs, and leave the lungs in, like I always do........oh, I dont really rate Crab all that much as bait anyway, peeled,de-lunged( or not ) as the case may be.

Dave...:victory:

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
As i live over the road from the beach ,the crab i collect are frozen within 1hr of collection. I dont de-lung them or peel them. I just wrap them individually in tin foil as i find this helps with the speed of them freezing . If you freeze a crab thats died the bacteria in the lungs has a head start in turning the crab black. Wether or not this detracts from its effectiveness as bait is for others to decide but i wouldnt use black crab with any confidence .
I then defrost baits as i use them peeling each whilst waiting for a bite on the bait fishing..... :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I remove the lungs from bait i'm going to freeze.

They go off (turn black) really quickly and can turn a crab into a little stink bomb.

It works for me and i've outfished mates who had fresh when I only had frozen.

I peel mine and wrap in foil. I just find it easier to use than cling film. I also think it might also help keep bait cool for that bit longer when i'm on the beach.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
When a crab starts to go off the lungs show deterioration first as they turn black. It may be that there are more bacteria in the lungs or they turn more quickly because there is more blood in them - who knows.

While most anglers, myself included, prefer fresh crab or frozen crab in good condition, I've had a significant number of experiences of using smelly crab and catching fish when other baits failed. I now always freeze dead crabs and re-freeze good crabs which have not quite defrosted. I don't mix them with the good stuff though.

I've caught cod, flounder and smoothound on smelly crab. I don't remember catching bass on smelly crab but I have certainly caught bass on smelly razor which is another good smelly bait.

The most important thing is for anglers to experiment, try things for themselves and not just accept what others say without question.

·
Registered
997 Posts
live: wait till they are popping, then in 6s whole into ziplock bags.

Freshly dead: Peeled, de lunged, cling film, zip locked bags once frozen.

works for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Use Zip lock bags slightly larger than the crab,wash the crab in tap water and put it in the bag,fill the bag with tap water making sure you get all the air out and seal the bag and freeze.
Try it you will be surprised how well it works on crab even for two years.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
A crabs gills and vent areas carry airobic bacteria. these are fine and happy while the crab is getting a supply of oxygenated water through them reguarly. Once the crab dies this turns to anarobic bacteria, [the smelly stuff] this can spread throughout the crab rapidly.

Freezing will not kill this bacteria but only slows it down dramatically. Obviously the longer its in the freezer the more damage it can do.

To ensure that your crab stays in the best condition possible for the longest period possible its better to remove the gills and vent.

Obviously some dont remove them and find no problems with there crab.

Ive had my own traps and collected own crab for over 25 years.

Personally, after spending a lot of hours collecting and preparing many hundreds of crabs i dont want to take any chances that they might spoil.

I've always had a good supply of crab so never felt the need to freeze dead crab or refreeze defrosted crab.

All my frozen crab are wrapped tightly in thin clingfilm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i collect mine and vacuum pack them in fours in the boot of my car at the beach then bring them home and straight in the freezer I have done this for the past 8 years and they come out perfect,everyone to their own

1 - 20 of 46 Posts