World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Please could someone give me a procedure on how to freeze down lug that you have dug from the beech?

Do you need to wrap them in newspaper? Like frozen Blacklug

What time scales do you need to freeze them in?

You rhelp is much appreciated guys

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If you gut the worm as you are digging/pumping then give them a good wash off before you leave the beach wrap them in newspaper when you get back to your car and place them in a frezer box or coolbag till you get home then wrap them 10 in a line then roll up and stick them in the frezer job done

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This probably sounds stupid but how do you gut them - i have never done this before.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
if you talking about blow lug then gutting and freezing doesnt really work. its only suitable for the largest lug or black lug.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
just cut off the head the fat bit , and run your finger from the tail to the messy end all the guts will come out some people dont like using small lug or blow lug in this manner but i have found them to be good enough for me ,i think i have caught enough to prove it,:) if you freeze them in newspaper and a day before you want them leave them out to defrost every dab and flounder from miles around will come to your hooks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
as bill says m8t u cant freeze blow lug it just goes 2 mush
when u defrost it.
if i have any common lug left i just make up a pennel snood & gut a squid
body & rig it up on the pennel hooks, then stuff the lug in2 the body of the squid
& seal the open end up with bait elastic & freeze it.
when i come 2 use them i take them in a flask & tike 1 out, tie on the snood
& b4 casting, put a few holes through the squid body with a knife & chuck it out.
it soon defrosts in the water & u get all the scent leaking out of the bait.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
This probably sounds stupid but how do you gut them - i have never done this before.
hold the worm and squeeze till its head bursts and the guts pump out easy or just whack it against your pump the worm will burst and the guts pump out make shure you wash them off aft with plenty seawater

·
Registered
139 Posts
Never heard of anyone doing this before , as for gutting them I thought that it was all the lovely juice that comes out of the worms that attract the fish?? :g:
Perhaps the solution is only dig enough for a couple of sessions:clap3: I always dig mine and they will keep in the fridge wrapped in damp news paper for almost a week I never dig more than I know that I can use:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
With yellowtails/blacks gut the worms as you dig/pump them. Hold the worm in your hand and squeeze towards the head. The guts will eject themselves, then holding the worm use a throwing action towards the sand to remove the remaining guts. Wash well in seawater using a bucket with lots of holes drilled in it so they drain off properly. When home wrap in newspaper (in use 2 sheets if freezing) in 10's. Make the papers but ripping a tabloid sized paper in half. I usually keep them in the fridge for 24 hours (this draws out alot of the moisture) then freeze.

Hope that helps. :)

www.dymchurch-angling.co.uk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts