World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.looking for a bit of advise.I work in montrose as a technician for fast rescue crafts.3 of us took up sea fishing last year and the bug bit hard.lots cash being spent.lol.we managed roughly 20 cod for our first season,biggest being 6lb.hopefully learned a lot for up coming winter season and up the much needed catch rate.this season we are going to save some cash by collecting our own bait.so far have mackerel in freezer.

My question is where is the best place to find peeler crabs around montrose?
And
Ive tried digging for worm in the basin and failed.where about is the best place to dig for them ther?

Have plently muscles,can't miss them at ferryden,lol
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.I've tried a few times for these baits and got nowhere.

I don't like asking for to much information.but we dnt know any other anglers that can give us advise.so far picked up all we know from reading from this forum.and going out and seeing what works.

3 amateur fishers in need of advise

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
big spring tides..as in 0.3 or less low waters should get you razor and bigger mussels on the beaches( mussels on the rocky areas ), not sure about crabs and lug up your way though

on the note of big tides.. have a look at the marks you wish too fish, that way you can see the features and holes you should be fishing into, believe me, it increasses your catch rate quite a bit :thumbs:

good luck:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
when you work out fuel aqnd time costs ,collecting fresh bait can sometimes be as expensive as buying it.during the winter you want to be able to go at short notice when the conditions are right.with so many marks near your area being low water marks ,you could well be digging instead of fishing.
if you want to try for crab,i would put some guttering in on the montrose side of the river from just where the estuary meets the beach ,back up the river.best time will be may to end of june.then august september.
last year i didnt dig bait once for cod.all my fish came on mackerel,bluey and squid.
cheers rab

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, when i'm up in Montrose camping, i get my bait from the basin by taking the last road on the right before the bridge on the way out of Montrose, before the petrol station, go right to the end of that road, down the slip on the left and under the railway bridge keeping to the right for about 50 yards is where i get rag and to your left over some water you will se a big flat area where you should get lug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.