World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, just found fresh Cuttlefish for sale in my local Makro (Charlton, near Greenwich).
Paid £6 something per kilo. (Lost the reciept already!)
Bit bigger size than i'd normally go for (approx 0.5k/1lb each) but doubt the cod will care :)
Was told they get fresh in most days....
As has already been said (more than once!), the local See Woo does v.cheap squid and an array of other useable baits....just need someone local to start selling blacks and i'll be sorted!

G

·
As the title says, just found fresh Cuttlefish for sale in my local Makro (Charlton, near Greenwich).
Bit bigger size than i'd normally go for (approx 0.5k/1lb each) but doubt the cod will care :)
Was told they get fresh in most days....
As has already been said (more than once!), the local See Woo does v.cheap squid and an array of other useable baits....just need someone local to start selling blacks and i'll be sorted!
whats a makro? is that cockney for market lol

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G

·
Lol!
Naaaah mate, just a shop inint!

http://store.makro.co.uk

Well, actually a trade store so technically you need to have a registered business to apply for a card to shop there but
ways & means...
They're countrywide but not sure if all stores have a fresh fish counter.

http://www.makro.co.uk/public/uk/Home/How+to+shop/Store+Locator
aye up i like that, how come we aint got one in kent,cor we could with that ,better than argos,i only had a qiuck look like ,seeing that you are in charlton you may be able to help me out lol,i drive national express to london and come of at eltham(mcdonalds)if i pm you in advance can you get me some cuttle?make it worth your while with some info on marks lol:sneaky2:

G

·
If i'm about at the time bud, i'm sure i could help you out :) (Bring a cool bag!)
...or hopefully Dungie bound this Fri if that's any help?
na from there you are more likely to go m20 aint ya,?no worries though, i need some soon,november 25th annual leave so getting out for most of that week,i will pm you fella, by the way my name is jay, cheers :whistling

G

·
Makro is a wholesaler sells every thing from clothes n tv to meat and fish also look on baits r us they are very cheap and reasonable and deliver too
dont wish to be funny ,wsf has had a debate on baits r us ,it left me uncertain of any prospect of buying, i know the ole chestnut,try it ,but if i can find someone thats willing to go out of there way to help on here,then thats the way for me,i keep baits r us in the back of mind ,but i rarely use anything other than my local tackle shop, if they aint got it ,then its hard to get, thanks anyway

jay

G

·
now where to get some fresh blacks, i also drive through hythe and over to ashford then onto maidstone,cheeky aint i lol

sorry to hijack the thread al 123

·
Registered
595 Posts
So thats around £3 per cuttlefish? 2 in a pack?

How big are they (in length)?? Don't think I could ever cast anything that big but a single one cut up would do for many, many baits!

G

·
size ,calculator, trips, had that one covered,how many times have you been to a tackle shop or rung em and they aint got any,not a bad shout in my eyes,bugger to work with though in my opinion,but if they are hungry do the cod care,its free
i dont think its a bad price, seeing i can rarely get it this end (wheres the frigging thumbs up smilie)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I dread to think what state I would end up in considering the mess I make with the ink from the small ones!

G

·
lol wear gloves then,i aint used it that much so i have forgotten how to deal with it,straight down the middle aint it?remove the ink sack and on it goes ?like dissecting a frog

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dont wish to be funny ,wsf has had a debate on baits r us ,it left me uncertain of any prospect of buying, i know the ole chestnut,try it ,but if i can find someone thats willing to go out of there way to help on here,then thats the way for me,i keep baits r us in the back of mind ,but i rarely use anything other than my local tackle shop, if they aint got it ,then its hard to get, thanks anyway

jay
TBH Jay, i've always found Baits R Us to be excellent in all respects...customer service/condition of bait on arrival etc etc The + points for the Makro cuttle though is it's fresh which i'm keen to see if it out fishes frozen. It's on my doorstep & doesn't req spending £60 for free delivery! (Got limited freezer space) Down side is the size. Although i'll be cutting it up into more manageable chunks, i reckon i'll lose quite a bit of the 'scenty' gunk! (not too much of a prob with part frozen and single cuts on the smaller ones)
Not trying to put you off mate, the offer still stands...& i applaud your use of tackle shops. Use 'em or lose 'em! (I know! I do try, but you can't compromise on bait!!)

So thats around £3 per cuttlefish? 2 in a pack?

How big are they (in length)?? Don't think I could ever cast anything that big but a single one cut up would do for many, many baits!
Yup, got x2 for £5 something. They're probably about 9-10" long. Was defo intending on cutting them up. Even the x3 to a pack from Baits R Us i normally slice in 2.(Which i find to be the perfect size) These jalopies will prob go for 4-6 baits? Cuttle don't reduce much when you whip 'em on!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you will find the cuttle you are buying has been cleaned for human consumption , you need cuttle that is dripping with ink not been washed at all :)
Had the same concern but was assured not cleaned....and it was dripping ink all over his nice display of crushed ice :) (Unless it was just a bit of residual ink left in it which would really hack me off given i'd specifically asked!)
The frozen stuff looked cr*p. Bleached even.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
If i'm about at the time bud, i'm sure i could help you out :) (Bring a cool bag!)
...or hopefully Dungie bound this Fri if that's any help?
Hi mate

if the breakwater is blown out i will be up for friday night, pm me details of your trip plans buddy

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I bought this morning at Billinsgate Market a box of fresh palm sized cuttle fish. £15 for 40+ cuttle. I reckon they will sit nicely on 4/0 to 6/0 hooks. They were not dripping in ink but they still have it. Anyway, the majority will be for the table! :)

Cheers,
Luis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.