World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.. fresh prawns.. how do you cook them and for how long ..
and apart from eating them with seafood sauce what else can they be used for...

·
Registered
133 Posts
depending on the size of the prawn say a 3 inch prawn,drop in to boiling water for 90 secs and there done anymore and they will cook to mush, for brown shrimp once they turn pink get them out...... as for uses eating about right....sod the fish

·
Registered
729 Posts
For prawn, substitute shrimp if necessary:

Prawn risotto, prawn omelette, prawn sandwich, prawn salad, prawn on toast, prawn curry, prawn and chips, baked prawn, fried prawn, steamed prawn, boiled prawn, deep-fried prawn, roasted prawn, baked potato and prawn, prawn kebabs, prawn pie, prawn satay, prawn tagliatelle, prawn spaghetti, prawn souffle :yawn:

If you are a fussy eater and don't fancy any of those, try here:

PRAWNS :giveup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chinese version:

Depending on size-
1) Prawn fried rice. Put prawns into boiling water for bout 1-2 mins. Then stir fry into rice with mixed veg

2) Thai style prawn curry, then layer that onto rice

Basically once the prawn is cooked, you can pretty much add that to anything inc salad dishes, omlettes etc

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chinese version:

Depending on size-
1) Prawn fried rice. Put prawns into boiling water for bout 1-2 mins. Then stir fry into rice with mixed veg

2) Thai style prawn curry, then layer that onto rice

Basically once the prawn is cooked, you can pretty much add that to anything inc salad dishes, omlettes etc
have you a recipe for the thai prawn curry sounds great..

do you have to boil the prawns alive..?

ive never cooked one in my life..

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
It is a variation on my Thai Fish Curry on my web site :

Prawn in Red Coconut Sauce
Takes 10 minutes, serves 4. You need:

Prawns, raw but shelled etc - amount depends on greed and/or availablity.
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
1 tablespoon fish sauce (Nam Pla)
450ml coconut milk
20 cherry tomatoes
20 fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper

Mix the coconut milk with the garlic, curry paste and fish sauce. Pour into a frying pan, and add the cherry tomatoes. When the mixture has started to boil turn the heat down and simmer for five minutes. Add prawns, cook for two minutes longer. Scatter with shredded basil leaves and serve with Thai rice. Couldn't be easier. (I can't remember where this recipe came from but several similar ones exist in Thai cookery books so it is authentic).

G

·

do you have to boil the prawns alive..?

ive never cooked one in my life..
Yes Andy:headhurt: Just drop into boiling water and they instantly go to the big rockpool in the sky.
A couple of wax earplugs and you wont hear them screaming:laugh:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Andy:headhurt: Just drop into boiling water and they instantly go to the big rockpool in the sky.
A couple of wax earplugs and you wont hear them screaming:laugh:
oooh...i was not sure that you might have had to ***** them with a pin first like you do winkles.( i think) my dad used to get them and stick them in the bath for some reason.. winkles that is..

i was going to have a go at a little feast gathering seeing the weathers not good at the mo..

dead prawns are a no no then..

G

·
Prawns or most other seafood is a nono if dead. The pin was used to get the winkles out of the shell not to kill them. You soak winkles in the bath or bowl of clean salted water so that they purge themselves of any nasties before cooking them. Once cooked a pin gets them out the shell, a sprinkle of pepper and they are ready to eat.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prawns or most other seafood is a nono if dead. The pin was used to get the winkles out of the shell not to kill them. You soak winkles in the bath or bowl of clean salted water so that they purge themselves of any nasties before cooking them. Once cooked a pin gets them out the shell, a sprinkle of pepper and they are ready to eat.
hi ..oh thats right.!!..does anyone still eat them..so let me get this right plonk the live prawns into clean boiling saltwater if dead throw away..
and then clean them..how..?

or cook live in a curry

G

·
hi ..oh thats right.!!..does anyone still eat them..so let me get this right plonk the live prawns into clean boiling saltwater if dead throw away..
and then clean them..how..?

or cook live in a curry
Just pull the heads and tails off once cooked, peel the rest of the shell and then add to the curry or whatever else you will be doing with them:headhurt: No need for any other cleaning.
I have not eaten winkles for years now, not since I found that the place we used to get loads when we were kids was next to a broken sewage pipe. For some reason they were always the biggest and most plentiful:yucky:

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not eaten winkles for years now, not since I found that the place we used to get loads when we were kids was next to a broken sewage pipe. For some reason they were always the biggest and most plentiful:yucky:
hi .. oooh.....kinda does put you off thou..!!

what else can i get to eat of the reefs while im getting some more prawns..

mussels.for a pie -ella

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fishyrob will be the best person to ask what else you can eat.
hi..i like the hunter/gatherer type thing..just wish i could gather more.. catch more..and eat more...!!

i got about 40 big prawns today ready for fishing tomorrow..but if i cannot get out..i will get some more prawns ..on the way back..once cooked do they have to be eaten straight away or can they be frozen in a cooked state..

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes they can be frozen once cooked, but never refreeze once thawed
thanks...i will give it a go ..

my wife just said you can buy frozen prawn curry...oh yes!! of course you can..did she mean they will taste better.why bother making one..or just to say yes they can be frozen...im really not with it am i..

thanks anyway..i will post the results...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Salars recipy for the thai curry is good. You can alter it slightly by putting in Thai Green Curry paste. Tastes great with coconut cream.

After you have boiled the prawn. I tend to take the shell off and then slit the prawn down the back. This is simply to get out the thin black line (guts). Once done you have 2 options. Either cook the prawn as it whole OR slice all the way down the middle to flatten it (butterfly style).

Other top quiock recipes of mine (I was brought up in a restaurant:group: )

1) Boil the prawn and take shells off but left whole as above. You can tell the prawn is fully cooked when the whole flesh is white. Get a bown and add some light soy sauce, a lill chilli sauce and some freshly chopeed chillis. Mix that sauce together and then simply dip the prawn in and eat straight away. (my favourite when the prawns are fresh). If the prawn is BIG then its also a delicacy to to suck the juices out of the prawns head. hehehe

2) Flatten the prawn (butterfly style) from raw status. dip in whisked egg. dip in sesame seeds and then shallow fry. Once golden crispy you can then dip in any sauce you wish ie chilli, sweet and sour etc.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi..wow..!! there so universal...im beginning to think there to good for bait..

i caught some carrying eggs today.. which i let go..but i seem to remember buying cooked prawns with the eggs still on ..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.