World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went Fluff Chucking at Chalk Springs today and was surprised to see a Flounder swimming amongst the Trout, the stream that feeds the lakes empties into the tidal Arun (I think) about 1/2 mile below the lakes so I suppose it must of swam upstream either during a flood or on a spring tide, wouldn't take a Fly though

G

·
we get them miles up river from the sea here, in fact i would say that most if not all rivers on the island have flounders in them, llangefni is a town more or less centre of the island and there are flounders in the river there, must be at least 10 miles from the sea.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi
We used to get flounders ! on the river ythan at a place named Ellon!
And that must be 10 mls from sea.
That was yrs ago .And i was just a kid at time ! we used to pull them out by the dozen.But as every one was after salmon and sea trout !
They were regarded as a pest ! and every one just threw them up the bank.and there was a lot of grumbling! if you dared put one back .( I didnt ******* come here to fish for flatties)
I sadly remember walking back to where you got the bus and having to pass literally hundreds of dead fish!(but they were never still there the following week) so someone or something must have took them!
Dont know if you still get them there or not ! as its a syndicate water
now:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here's the results from the match @ Ulleskelf on the river Wharfe, quite a way inland but still tidal. They do travel a fair way upstream.

greenwood cup ulleskelf.
1st tony greenwood ,bingley,7lbs 12oz,1 bream 2 chub.
2nd stan jeffreys,leeds.7lbs 10 oz,3lbs of roach 'n' dace,1 trout 1 perch, 2 flatties and an eel.
3rd alan smith,6lbs 12oz,1bream 2 flatties.
4th bobby lee.6lbs 4oz,1 bream and a chub.
5th martin thorpe,6lbs 2oz,3 chub 2 flatties.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have witnessed them caught in a local fresh water reservoir, and also heard of schoolies being caught in the same place. :huh:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Caught them on two local rivers the Garnock and Irvine in Ayrshire while worm fishing for trout and salmon. Used to be really common to catch them but not so common now mainly due to some 'anglers' dumping them on the bank and not returning them.

·
Registered
21,232 Posts
Not unusual to get them in the river severn up to tewkesbury,even had a few little uns catching minnows in a kids shrimp net.have heard of them as far up as diglis weir at worcester,tho it's very unusual as they need to navigate tewkesbury weir also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.