World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragged myself out of bed for the first day of my "great rod race" @ 7am, loaded the car and was on the road by 7.30. The weather as i left the Cardiff Bay was sunny but got darker and darker as i drove through Dinas. By the time i entered Barry it started spitting but i could see some bright sky ahead so soldiered on (i am the original "fair weather fisherman"!) parked the car and short stroll along the point i set up about 3/4 along on the left hand side so nice and sheltered with the wind blowing staright over my shoulder.

First cast out by around 8am and it wasn't long untill i snagged and lost the lead, trace, leader and metres and metres of line (must have been caught on the rocks) so with a half empty reel i set back up and chucked another bait out onto towards the sand. after several other fruitless casts i managed to snag again! :wallbash: Attached new leader and trace and whacked out another bait in hope!

Then the rain came..........:mad:.......i HATE the rain!!! so hunkered down under my poncho and waited for the weather to improve, which it did. Then i reached for the carp rod and dropped a small bait close in and popped it onto the rest and waited.......and waited.....and waited........ then it happened the carp rod started to bouce all over the place and i struck into a fish! The fight was, well, underwhelming to say the least and i swung in what was the first and unfortunately ONLY fish of the session - a small eel of about a pound. luckily it was lip hooked on a size 6 barbless so a quick shake with the pliers after having its photo took and it was off to the murky to fight another day (although it very nearly became a tasty pike bait for this winter!). If you dont mind i'm going to keep the "magical" bait used to temp the wee beasty a secret or you'll all be down there catching those magnificant eels!!!!:roll1::roll1::roll1:

A few more casts and i called it a day and headed for home. All in all not the most successful session but i beat the dreaded blank again so cant grumble although i never thought i'd say this........would give my right arm for a dogfish at the mo!!!!!!!

So trip 2..... trying to find somewhere away from the miserable weather where i can actually catch something decent, maybe somehere a bit further afield - any suggestions welcome.:help:

Any way, thanks for reading and tight lines!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
unlucky mate better than blanking, nice read thow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts