World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few hours on friday night with Gaz , his son and my nephew.... hoping to show them what a hound looked like. We arrived at our chosen location to be greeted by a stiff easterly breeze that had chopped the sea up enough to dampen any hopes of a hound... When my nephew ask was it too rough for a hound i said "not at all mate" thinking to myself "yipee, bass" not wanting to let him down.After a couple of chucks and no fish Gaz turned up with his son Ryan. It took a while but while i was chatting to Gaz i spotted a slack line on one of my rods and made a quick dash back to take up the slack, after what seemed an age and about 50yards of line i felt some resistance and lifted into a fish, a scrappy fight from a starry smoothound of about 9lb. A quick piccy of Lewis with the fish and away she swam non the worse for her ordeal.....
A while later a nod on Gaz,s flatty rod produced a nice little flounder for Ryan, I think his first fish from salt water, he,s used to carp fishing so it was no big fight for him..... About 11.30pm a good tug on one of my rods produced another hound of about 7lb that felt much more like a bass so i was a tad dissapointed when it came to the beach, still a fish is a fish and in those conditions i guess i was lucky to have 2... both hounds fell to fresh peelers on 1/2-2/0 pulley pennel rigs at about 90 yards and Ryans flounder a lot closer in.. so it was an enjoyable session only slightly marred by the sea state, great company as usual with good banter.... Heres a couple of pics....... Chris

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Nice one Chris, looks like the boys enjoyed there time on the beach with the old sea dogs.............:clap:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice report and fish. I have a friend who lives around the locations you fish and its been producing alot of decent size smooths this last week.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice report and fish. I have a friend who lives around the locations you fish and its been producing alot of decent size smooths this last week.
A bit bigger than average at the minute cos there,s a lot of small fish (5-7lb) about ... i,ve had quite a few doubles this year and my p.b of 20lb2oz... I think the real big ones will show again befor the end of the season. Last year they stayed into October i think, so if the temp holds then it could be another good year, we just need more westerly,s... Chris

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
we are out of lucky on the westerly wind got a run of northerly winds c
coming later part of week mate..
but should swing back next week..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts