World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After losing what I thought was all my rigs earlier in the week I found an old rig that's been hiding away in the back of my cupboard which saved me a trip to the fishing shop, I stripped it for parts and made a new rig (a double hook rig for a big squid) and headed down to the beach now that it's safe from crazy lightning bolts..

I fished the sandbanks end of Bournemouth beach near Canford cliffs, utilising all the casting ability of my new 12ft beach caster (a well deserved upgrade from a pier rod) I walloped it out about 25 meters and waited... Must have been half an hour in, the rod top was bouncing all over the place, I struck and felt very little, I reeled in and let the rod do some of the work to feel for a kick and then it went off like a power boat! Took a good while to bring it to the shallows when it started tearing off left to right and vice versa, I eventually got it in the surf and walked it up the beach and it turned out to be a personal best, absolute beauty, Starry Smooth Hound.. Very happy! No scales but had to be a double just about.. Still out on the beach but I've lost my clip for the tip light so not sure how much longer I can stay out for but very happy with this beauty!

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
After losing what I thought was all my rigs earlier in the week I found an old rig that's been hiding away in the back of my cupboard which saved me a trip to the fishing shop, I stripped it for parts and made a new rig (a double hook rig for a big squid) and headed down to the beach now that it's safe from crazy lightning bolts..

I fished the sandbanks end of Bournemouth beach near Canford cliffs, utilising all the casting ability of my new 12ft beach caster (a well deserved upgrade from a pier rod) I walloped it out about 25 meters and waited... Must have been half an hour in, the rod top was bouncing all over the place, I struck and felt very little, I reeled in and let the rod do some of the work to feel for a kick and then it went off like a power boat! Took a good while to bring it to the shallows when it started tearing off left to right and vice versa, I eventually got it in the surf and walked it up the beach and it turned out to be a personal best, absolute beauty, Starry Smooth Hound.. Very happy! No scales but had to be a double just about.. Still out on the beach but I've lost my clip for the tip light so not sure how much longer I can stay out for but very happy with this beauty!
So much fun when you get a big smut shark in the middle of summer- especially off a nice beach- good on ya fella. what a buzz.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Hilarious .... I hope there were some tourists to show it to ... it'll make them freak to see sharks that size swimming that close in! (You don't have to tell them smoothies are crap sharks ...:devilish:)
Some years ago I caught a smoothie that sort of size down Southbourne. When I released it it went off slowly along the beach, exhausted from a cracking fight, with its fin showing ... queue screams of 'shark, shark' from bathers further down the beach. I rofl-ed before rofl-ing even existed. Happy days. Nice fish.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hilarious .... I hope there were some tourists to show it to ... it'll make them freak to see sharks that size swimming that close in! (You don't have to tell them smoothies are crap sharks ...:devilish:)
Some years ago I caught a smoothie that sort of size down Southbourne. When I released it it went off slowly along the beach, exhausted from a cracking fight, with its fin showing ... queue screams of 'shark, shark' from bathers further down the beach. I rofl-ed before rofl-ing even existed. Happy days. Nice fish.
This one did the same, swam off like baby Jaws with its fin above the surface. A couple was walking past as I brought it in, they took the pics and were quite taken back by the size of it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts