World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front drag always seems to be the recommended choice on here but what are the benefits over rear?

·
Registered
848 Posts
More compact, lighter and less to go wrong and easier to strip down if you do get problems (I have a rear drag - can you tell?). Not sure about smoother though, Tom? My Exage RA is pretty smooth when adjusted properly.
On the plus side, if you do need to adjust the drag during the fight it is much easier with rear drag in my opinion. Not sure how often this is an issue though - I've only needed to do it once...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Exage RA is pretty smooth when adjusted properly.
Local tackle shop guy said he'd do me the same reel (single handle 4000 size) for £46 today but I backed out as wasn't sure if it was a turkey.

I only get out every 2 weeks or so, so servicing and stuff isn't really that much of a priority.

Lightness isn't really either as my current reels are either ancient/crap/combination of both and I can fish for hours without getting tired arms. After all I'm not 6 and it's only grams involved after all not KG's......

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a rear drag reel, but its about 20 years old and it does feel very bulky and uncomfortable. Must get a new front drag one soon.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a rear drag Aspire. Waste of money that was, it is no different from a rear drag Stradic...the drag gets worse and worse the more you use it. I don't tend to look after my reels too well but I also never submerge them. I think the rear seals are pretty ropey on the rear drags and are primarily designed for freshwater use. Avoid I should.

Next reel will definately be a front drag, probably after I lose a fish when the drag locks up...Already happened with a big snook. Drag locked and line snapped. £140 badly spent!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Local tackle shop guy said he'd do me the same reel (single handle 4000 size) for £46 today but I backed out as wasn't sure if it was a turkey.

I only get out every 2 weeks or so, so servicing and stuff isn't really that much of a priority.

Lightness isn't really either as my current reels are either ancient/crap/combination of both and I can fish for hours without getting tired arms. After all I'm not 6 and it's only grams involved after all not KG's......
If this is the Exage 4000RA i.e. last year's model you have been offered, then this is not that cheap as you can get the 4000FB (the updated model) for the same money if you farm around (rrp is £55 I think?). I got two of the 4000RA for less than £40 each. It is a good reel and not heavy in reality, just heavier than the front drag version. It has good stainless bearings so it is salt water tolerant. Rinsed and cared for, it should be fine. I know plenty of forum members use them as they are good value for money. If it lasts two years hard plugging, you couldn't complain. Drag performance is fine in my opinion - can't comment on the other reels mentioned though...

·
Registered
532 Posts
i def prefer front drag over rear drag, my certate has front so has the saltiga, lighter is prob the main reason along with a better drag system.
Ps hagwag thanks for this thread just reminded me of why I had a spare spool of braid in my desk, was for this which has been forgotten about for like two months

Duh!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts