World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why 'o' why do i seem to mess up when i try and use frozen baits?
I buy them already frozen. buy them fresh then freeze. All i get is mush that won't stay on hook or will fall apart when i try to put on hook.

As i live quite far from pier and like to fish way before tackle shop opens, i tend to buy worm a day or two before hand but can't use them on day of fishing.

Where am i messing up????

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
Why 'o' why do i seem to mess up when i try and use frozen baits?
I buy them already frozen. buy them fresh then freeze. All i get is mush that won't stay on hook or will fall apart when i try to put on hook.

As i live quite far from pier and like to fish way before tackle shop opens, i tend to buy worm a day or two before hand but can't use them on day of fishing.

Where am i messing up????
buy a load of lug and gut them and freeze them down. when freezing baits it helps to bag them up then before tying it dip it in a bucket of water and tie it whist its in there as this produces a vacuum type seal. put a baking tray in the freezer the day before and when you get back from the tackle shop /session with bait or food to freeze, pop it on the already cold tray and that will freeze it faster. keep all worm baits in a cold dark area (or the fridge if the missis will let ya!) and change the paper daily and remove all dead worms as they will kill the rest. dead manky lug works a treat round my way :thumbs:

·
Banned
10,968 Posts
Try salting your baits down instead, they will keep for an age in the fridge (not freezer) and they will be nice and tough, will stay on the hook a treat, I use salted mack and salted black regularly and the fish dont seem to mind it.

Plus all you need to take with you is a pair od scissirs to cut it and no more gunky carp all over yr hands when cutting up a defrosted mackersl!

simples !

·
Registered
33 Posts
it use 2 happen alot with me, til i started usin bait elastic to make sausage baits, now the defrosted mackie an bluey can really get launched out 2 wer the fish r without flingin off, and last alot longer on the hook unless the crabs r about.

Davy

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
What are you trying to freeze mate? I'm told rag turns to mush when frozen. If you are freezing fresh mackie then mibbie you are not keeping them cool enough before you freeze them

·
Registered
58 Posts
What are you trying to freeze mate? I'm told rag turns to mush when frozen. If you are freezing fresh mackie then mibbie you are not keeping them cool enough before you freeze them
Also you can't freeze blow lug they go to mush. If you are using fish bait don't defrost it to soon. You can put mackerel on part frozen and whip it on with bait elastic.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
As Gaz says no need to freeze fresh worm. Unless you have been sold junk by the tackle shop then properly looked after it should last for a good few days in the fridge. Especially Rag, which is a big no-no to freeze anyway.

Frozen Mussel and Runnydown ought not to turn to mush unless you are leaving it to bake in the sun, frozen Mackerel / Bluey can be a bit more delicate but frozen squid is almost bombproof. For summer fishing it is worth spending a few quid on a decent cool bag, keep the bait in there (frozen and fresh) along with a couple of bottles of water or squash that you have frozen - as they are defrosting you get a nice refreshing drink to keep you going as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts