World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried all the baits out there, the fishing books seem to pour scorn on anything but fresh bloody peeler but I always come back to frozen mackeral.

I but it in fillets, about £1.50 for two, let it thaw for an hour, then cut it into strips 4 inches by 1 inch, I then bind it tight with bait elastic and pop it back i the freezer. I have used mackeral a few times and refrozen it, apart from smoothound, its caught me every fish about.

Squid catches me very little, sandeel no better than mackeral and the worm baits again are fine for codling but I have caught my biggest cod on a lump of mackeral fished in close.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Bluebeard you are my friend! I thought I was the only one using old frozen mackeral and felt embarrased about it! Glad to know somebody else supports the macky!!!

P

·
0 Posts
And another one, I swear by it, although sandeel is my favourite, especially under the float. Mackerel strup works just as well.

With regard to squid, I remember last year fishing off Mounbatten Breakwater in Plymouth. Amongst the baits we had was baby squid, some that was ripe and some that was fresh and white. We had a lot more fish on the ripe, to be fair it was more than ripe

·
Registered
15 Posts
what is the reason for you to bind the strips together with elastic and put it back in freezer........ do you tie it so just the skin side is showing??????????? :confused:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mackeral tends to break down and becomes flakey, by binding it, it seems to keep more solid for longer as a bait, some people just hook mackeral, I bind it first , then when fishing bind it again, the hook seems to get a better hold as well.

I do the same with sandeel, bind with elastic after allowing to part defrost, chuck back in freezer, then bind lightly again on the shoreline before casting.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Bluebeard

Frozen Mackerel is all i can get. After catching my best fish on a cocktail of rag/frozen mackie and squid. I swear by it now. I seem not to have prob keeping it on the hook. Dabhand daz (him again) showed what to do. Best way to describe it is as amackeral wrap around the rag and squid.

Woodster

·
Registered
158 Posts
I always use frozen mackie but have problems with it decaying and turning into sludge,can anyone help me on this subject?
i usually cut it into a strip push the hook in and bring it back through the other side is this wrong?
cheers dunce.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
salt down fresh makeral and it will be a lot tougher, with frozen I do the same but also cut it into strips and bind it with elastic, then freeze it again, this keeps it together when its used again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have you ever smelled salted Mackerel???
Admittedly when I last smelled it, it was salted for about a year, for creels, but it's not very pleasant.

If mackerel is frozen as soon as possible after it is caught it freezes well. I have used some that was caught last summer recently and although not perfect, it didn't flake easily.

Incidentally my best fish, and those of my friends, have been caught during the winter on the simple frozen mack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts