World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to present this?

I used frozen peeler for the 1st time on Saturday, don't mind admitting I got in hell of a mess. The crabs I bought looked good quality - from Ammo, roughly 2 inches broad.

Do you need to let them thaw thoroughly before use or can you bang 'em on the hook still pretty solid? and whats the best way to present them? - an old hand told me just to split the crab in half shell intact & bind with bait elastic, whreas someone else told me to pull all the legs off, remove the shell & pull the lungs out - needless to say using this latter method I was left with b***er all to hook due to my "delicate" touch.

Any one got any good tips for using frozen crab, glad to her from you .

Cheers.

PS Blanked, couple of knocks & then a delightful bunch of lads turned up on their jet skis . Sugar mixes well with fuel I've heard eh!! :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alright TOG...

I was out at Boddin Head (between Arbroath and Montrose) on Saturday after cod or pollack and used frozen peeler for the first time too, what a mess I was in. I whipped the whole thing legs and all on the hook with elastic and tipped it with mackarel/black lug, smothered the lot in Peeler oil and cast it out. Never even got a bite all day :mad: so I would also be interested to hear what more experienced people have to say. :confused:

Shad.

·
Registered
542 Posts
are the crabs you used peelers or them imported softback eaters that some shops are now selling (the softbacks are rubbish imho) if they are peelers they are usually shelled already when sold frozen. the best way to shell a peeler is to remove the legs first then peel the bottom and finally the back take out the lungs and then cut it halfway so that there is a join between the two halves then pass your hook through the leg socket and thread it in and out of the crabs body and tie it to your hook using normal thread bait elastic squeezes all the juices out to quickly(wrap it round your finger and you will see what i mean) finally peel the legs aswell as they are great for tippping off baits with.

hope this helps

·
Registered
63 Posts
Frozen peeler are only reckoned to be %50 as effective as fresh. They also can't be frozen for long periods. I have never caught a thing on frozen peeler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts