World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of Bass fishing with plugs and fly, but I'd like to do some more bait fishing when conditions aren't ideal for plug or flyfishing. Are those blast frozen velvet swimmer crabs any good for bass? If not, what is the best frozen bait? (I don't have time to collect fresh!)

Cheers,

Mick

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I tried them last summer and decided that they were a) expensive and b) useless as bait! They're a species from the Far East (Thailand or somewhere like that) so perhaps our local fish don't fancy going out for a Thai!

In the absence of fresh peeler I'd use sandeel, king rag or razor this time of year - they all produce.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You might have missed my earlier post.

[B]New source of crab bait [/B] Just found a Chinese cash and carry that stocks a range of useful things we can use as bait!!! 1kg packs of squid tenticles £3.80, Razor fish £4.15, small calamari £1.55 box 453grm. But best of all SOFT SHELLED CRAB!
They are Scylla serrata or mud crabs (Mango Crab)- for info seach name on Google - masses of useful info - popular bait in Australia! I got 25 x 2.5 inch diam crabs individually wrapped for £12.95! The place is Wing Yip on the Purley Way, Croydon. No more bait shortages the freezer is well stocked. Just hoping they catch fish!

I quess any Chinese cash and carry would have them and a friendly take away might order them in for you. The razor is great for blackbream. Ive not yet had anything on the crab yet but have only used two last week. When defrosted they are very juicy with no hard parts so I think they will work.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
probably just me but I've never caught a Bass on frozen crab and IMO you'd be better of spending the money on some nice juicy worm instead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts