World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

had some left over ragworm from a session so salted it down and chucked it in the freezer suspriseing it looks ok after defrosted looks like forzen lug when u buy it

have i just got lucky or asoon as it hits the water will it turn to mush

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I have tried this before, they will go really soft and slimey and just splatter every where if you attempt to cast them. The only thing i could think they were possibly useful for would be to fish them in a feeder perhaps?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Then it should be ok, I do it regularly with worm baits, provided you didn't let them dessicate before you froze them, they will be fine when used with fresh. I have never had a lot of luck with them on their own, but as a top up of fresh they seem to work.;)
blueskip

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I did salt them and wrap them in clingfilm, then in newspaper before i froze them, as you would with black lug. They still went mushy, best off buying fresh bait as they do not keep.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I did salt them and wrap them in clingfilm, then in newspaper before i froze them, as you would with black lug. They still went mushy, best off buying fresh bait as they do not keep.
It depends how long you salt them for, not long enough & you leave too much liquid in them so they go mushy when they thaw, too long & they go like leather & wont reconstitute.
I tend to leave mine overnight in salt, then roll them up in foil, keeping them separate, they then defrost in good enough condition to mix with fresh. I would love to have all fresh bait every time I go, but it aint always possible or affordable;)
blueskip

·
Registered
276 Posts
How long do you want to keep them? I have decent rag in the fridge that have lived there quite happily for 4 weeks. Just change the water daily and they are fine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welll i had about 50 ragworm i wanted to freeze so i coverd them in salt waited 10-15 mins then put them in my chest freezer 2 weeks later they came out like runnydown fished well for dabs and whiteys oh btw i wrapped them up in newspaper in 20s tbh they dont fish as well as fresh rag/lug did but they went on the hook and caught fish tried 1 rod just with them and fresh on the other ... the fresh worm baits caught 2 more fish then the salted/frozen did

1 - 9 of 9 Posts