World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I fished with gregd on the 15 of this month at ferring, in the first hour i watched greg get about 5 hounds on frozen velvet crab while myself who was fishing about 10 meters away from him had nothing on frozen spider peeler. i switched to the 1 live spider i had and got a fish straight away and continued to get 8 more. The spiders that i had frozen down where transported home in a large plastic tank with an air stone and where well alive when i got home. i peeled them and placed them into freezer on a piece of metal.

Has anyone used frozen to good results? or did i do something wrong

Cheers
Danny

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ive got about 20 frozen spiders crabs left and not had a thing when using them. Luckily someone is taking them off my hands so i can get some mackerel instead for the winter. Frozen punga and shore crabs work well though.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hi all

I fished with gregd on the 15 of this month at ferring, in the first hour i watched greg get about 5 hounds on frozen velvet crab while myself who was fishing about 10 meters away from him had nothing on frozen spider peeler. i switched to the 1 live spider i had and got a fish straight away and continued to get 8 more. The spiders that i had frozen down where transported home in a large plastic tank with an air stone and where well alive when i got home. i peeled them and placed them into freezer on a piece of metal.

Has anyone used frozen to good results? or did i do something wrong

Cheers
Danny
Think you were most probably just unlucky..........I was there that evening ,about 2 beaches to your right,between about 7.30 and 11 when i packed up it was constant action every chuck,sometimes within seconds.I had 1 live and 1 frozen spider and a couple of shore crab peelers.Assuming i got 6 baits out of each spider i must have hooked 6 0n frozen . Can,t tell you how it was frozen cos it was given to me but i guess no different to yours,With that amount of fish there i was able to experiment and managed to catch on prawn aswell:victory:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fresh spider outfishes frozen here in ND, but frozen will still catch, as long as it isnt allowed to stand in its own juice, which goes black very quickly when thawed.......

however i would not compare spider with velvet, they are a completely different bait, and frozen velvet will outfish fresh spider imo.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
have used frozen spider at selsey,and have had more hounds on it than fresh peeler,once fished a short sesh,2 rods,1 frozen spider,1 fresh peeler(greenback)and the spider out fished 6-1,the fresh took a hound of 6-7lb the spiders took 3 doubles and 3 smaller hounds of 7-9lb,the biggest being 14lb2oz,i think it depends on location a fair bit:bounce:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts