World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
If you use a FS reel on a multi rung rod does it effect the casting distance or will it be the same as casting a FS rung rod.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the reason i ask i am thinking of buying a new 13'beach caster and have been using a12' moonraker with a with a cheap multi reel and like the feel of the multi. But i can cast further with a FS on A cheap rod. I thought it would be best to buy the multi version and use my FS reel Until i can afford a Good multi later.
I am also originally from yorkshire

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Line comes of a fixed spool in large loops...hence larger rings (creates less friction) when using a fixed spool on a rod rung for a multiplier , those big loops are compressed into a smaller ring creating more friction ..hence less distance.....stick with the multiplier and concentrate on your casting technique....once you got that ,go buy that lovely new reel

MrB

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Line comes of a fixed spool in large loops...hence larger rings (creates less friction) when using a fixed spool on a rod rung for a multiplier , those big loops are compressed into a smaller ring creating more friction ..hence less distance.....stick with the multiplier and concentrate on your casting technique....once you got that ,go buy that lovely new reel

MrB

Not with a modern coned spool,have a look how small the new Fuji lowriders are and they work with a fixed spool.Multipliers are nicer to use though,but get a decent one-I once read on here that "multipliers are llike prostitutes-get a cheap one and you will soon regret it!"

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Not with a modern coned spool,have a look how small the new Fuji lowriders are and they work with a fixed spool.Multipliers are nicer to use though,but get a decent one-I once read on here that "multipliers are llike prostitutes-get a cheap one and you will soon regret it!"
LOL thats funny.......suppose that answers my thread about the new Okuma magnetix lol ..2 birds with 1 stone ...nice one Sean:)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The difference in distance will be small under typical fishing conditions. In practice there were will be a simular level of gain in real conditions when there is wind about. Side wind is one of the fixed spool reels down sides. Strong wind will pull loads of line of the reel and seriously shorten casting distance. Having said that though some anglers who use multipliers use an underfilled spool or a serous increase in braking in simular situations.
I've always used fixed spool on a multiplier rod as there aren't many fixed spool rods built built on a good blanks. Mounting the reel used to be a problem but the new sliding reel seats have fixed that. I use both types of reel on the same rod according to need.
As to cone spools, super long spools etc I have serious doubts as to whether there is any significant difference other than the two mentioned will give increased casting distance under ideal conditions. The cone spool has the advantage that it doesn't need the extremely long bail arm throw needed for long spools. Of the 2 I would favour some cone spool reels for spinning and moderately long spools for the beach.
It's possible to convert some reels to cone spool by simply packing the spool forwards a bit. It doesn't need much and is best done before the spool is filled with line. It's also worth trying on reels that leave a step at the front when the back of the spool is filled.
The supposed gain in casting achieved by cone spools comes about because line pulls clear of under lying layers as soon as it starts to come off the spool. In my view the caster, the line weight and the rod blank have a far greater effect. Much the same as multipliers really.

John

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Are you speaking from experience there?:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts