World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I just found this forum having only started angling a couple of months ago when I went for a 12&#39; beachcaster and a FS reel (Chesil beach, Portland etc). I got so hooked I then went for a lighter weight 10&#39; rod and another light FS spinner for spinning. (I&#39;m definitely hooked and fish now about 3-4 nights a week with my GF who also uses a FS/12&#39; Beachcaster (Never caught a bass yet though a lot of Mackarel, Herring and some Pollocks have been exciting. :)

Last week the local shop had an offer on Fladen multipliers and I bought a small vantage (red thingy) to "try it out" using the Alize 240 spinning rod I have (2 Oz). I thought that for that price I&#39;d give it a go and if I liked it, consider buying a "real one" eventually.

I am now seriously thinking this is the way to go despite ending up with so many bird nests&#33; Despite this setback I just loved the operation and can actually "feel" whats happening.

If I decided to go for a better multiplier, do I also have to buy a new rod -- or can I save money by having the rings changed on mine (Sand Storm)?

Also, out of 10 casts I got a record of 5 bird nests.. I notice it happens when the led actually hits the water as if the whole reel stops on itself and unwinds in a magical way&#33;

I don&#39;t know anyone else who uses one (or even fishes) so I read somewhere that it could be my line is too long and shortened it (half cut in bird nests anyway) . Is there anywhere else where I can get info on casting with a multiplier -- or using it? The tension switch etc. kind of things... Or do I just learn through the bird nests :)

Thanks much and regards
Izzy</font>

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Try Sea Angler and Total Sea Fishing magazines for advice on multipliers. They both seem to have articles and readers questions relating to the problems you&#39;re having fairly regularly.

A few pointers (bearing in mind I&#39;m unfamiliar with your reel) :-

1. Your reel should have a braking system for the spool. Is it magnetic or are there brake blocks? If its magnetic set it too maximum. If brake blocks, take the side plate off and check whether any are fitted (small plastic things sliding on a bar attached to the spool spindle). Whether there are or not fit the the largest blocks that your reel came with. These measures will slow the reel during the cast reducing the risk of bird&#39;s nests. You can reduce the braking as you gain in competence/confidence.
2. As you correctly point out reducing the line level has a similar effect. Don&#39;t fill the spool to the edge - 5 millimetres ar so below the maximum will be fine for now.
3. As soon as you see the weight/lure hit the water clamp down on the spool with your thumb. The spool stops revolving and you won&#39;t get overruns.
4. Finally, concentrate on developing a smooth casting action. Snatchy/jerky casts will also see you lose control of the spool and therefore cause overruns.
5. Finally finally. If you find yourself still getting lots of problems with birds nests go back to fixed spool reels. You often hear people say multipliers cast further but that is rubbish. You&#39;ll spend more time fishing and less time untangling and therefore have more fun.

Cheers,
Rhod.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>The way to setup a multiplier is as follows attach a weight to the end of your line and reel the line in until its near the top of the rod. The trick is then to adjust the spool float on the right hand sie of reell (beneath the handle and star drag) so that there is very little play/wobble in the spool, you can check this by moving the spool from side to side once you have done that you can then adjust the breaks on the left hand side of the reel. The best way to set them up is to fully tighten the breaks, then release the spool and allow the weight to drop.. You should then adjust the breaks so that the weight will drop with just a slight tap of the rod tip and fall at a reasonable pace. When you are more confident and experienced you can then loosen the breaks off completely this will allow you to gain more distance. The trick with casting is to learn to notice the deceleration in the spool as the weight is about to hit the water. When you see a deceleration it is then you should apply some pressure to the spool to stop it from over running</font>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the advice guys. I&#39;m definitely doing better now though realise how important correct reel tension and thumb positioning is -- and of course the timing. Still scared to try longer beach casts from Chesil but enough to practice over the rocks where no one can see :) I&#39;ve got the fladen 860 for now and hope to get a better one, once I&#39;m totally used to it... &nbsp;

-- When I go for a multiplier, would I be able to convert my Sand Storm by adding/changing rings? Best and thanks

Izzy</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (balikizzy @ July 22 2004,14:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>-- When I go for a multiplier, would I be able to convert my Sand Storm by adding/changing rings?</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#810541'>How many rings on your current Sand Storm ? It could be that you have the multiplier model already...

FS rods generally have 5 or 6 rings, Multiplier rods will have 8ish.

If yours is the FS version then it is possible to strip the rings off a FS rod and re-ring for multiplier, but this is difficult for a newbie to do alone, so its gonna cost quite a bit to get someone else to do it. &nbsp;So much so that you are certainly better off buying a new multi rod/reel combo. &nbsp;Sell the old one if you like to help finance it.</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I would not recommend that you do that as the blank will be used to flexing a certain way and you may put additional stress in areas that are not designed for it. I would suggest that you buy a rod rung for multipliers and if your budget doesnt allow for an expensive rod buy a rod with coasters as the reel seats on cheaper models tend to wear away and become useless within a few months of use.</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts