World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,On having a conversation about fuel mixtures i was told you need to get the mix spot on:g: I was wondering how to mix say 100-1?? I know you add them together,Does this mean 100 Litres of fuel to 1 Litre of oil:g: :g:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ChrisP for the info.:notworthy :notworthy

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote...i was told you need to get the mix spot on

Absolute codswollop! Near enough with a bias to slightly more then nessesary rather than slightly less.

I have no idea why some blokes like to enshroud their use of machinery with arcane detail and mystic exactitude, like one must be a super human to know what they do.
Look, one of the biggest O/B markets in the world are the far east, third world countries. These guys do not measure out the oil (let alone it be Quicksilver XXl supernipple crud) with graduated measuring glasses fixed to a level surfaces. They know that, for instance, a quater of a 1 liter bottle of oil does for 25 liters, whatever that ratio is.
Ask yourself if the O/B manufacturers make special 'scientific measure' engines for one market and 'that'll do' engines for another.

Having said that getting it about right is the thing to do but for goodness sake do not worry about a table spoons worth either way.

Afishionado

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
100:1 mixtures are ok on new engines but I have been told by more knowledgable marine "geeks" that when it gets to over 2 years old you should increase the ratio to 50:1 this will help lubricate the bore & moving parts a bit more, & probably take up some of the piston wear in the barrels.
I have 2 Yams both of which say 100:1 under the hoods, both run perfectly well on 50:1 & thats what they will continue to get!;)
blueskip

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
100:1 mixtures are ok on new engines but I have been told by more knowledgable marine "geeks" that when it gets to over 2 years old you should increase the ratio to 50:1 this will help lubricate the bore & moving parts a bit more, & probably take up some of the piston wear in the barrels.
I have 2 Yams both of which say 100:1 under the hoods, both run perfectly well on 50:1 & thats what they will continue to get!;)
blueskip

When I had 2 strokes that's more or less the regime I followed. I never had probs with plugs oiling or anything.

Afishionado

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blueskip
My engineis a yamaha 30hp and think i will take your advice and run on 50-1 as i think it is over 2 years old.Silly question but should i run it on leaded or unleaded???:g: :g:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Just out of interest, the RNLI are currently switching their Atlantic75 fleet from 70hp Evinrudes (50:1) to 75hp Yamahas.
These are supplied for use with a fuel mix of 100:1 but the RNLI run them on 50:1. They run just fine.
I dont think I would run an outboard on less than 50:1

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just an FYI for unleaded/leaded.

The purpose of leaded petrol is purely to "cushion" the valves against the valve seats. Old (leaded) engines have soft valve seats which without the cushioning of lead wear.

Unleaded (newer) engines have hardened valve seats and therefore don't require the lead to cushion the blow of the valves.

So if your running an old leaded engine, use Lead replacement OR get hardened heads/valve seats fitted.

If your running an unleaded motor - no worries!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts