World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Fuel tank laws

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  LutonRoy 
#1 ·
I prevented from filling a 6 gallon Honda petrol tank and a 2 gallon reserve tank in Newhaven, Sussex close to the marina recently. I was told it was because of conditions in their license.

Can anyone tell me what the regulations are or where to find them?

#2 ·
hi peter
we need to go fishing again, even if only so you can show me where the bass are.

i licence petrol stations to sell petrol for pollution reasons. trading standards do it for safety.
i am sure that there is an exemption for the sale of petrol into plastic containers for marine use. ie 5 galls is ok i know that when i had the raider i used to fill three or 4 plastic marine tanks in the boot and because of my job i checked the regs and found the exemption. unfortuantly i cant remember where i found it. given the average level of knowledge of the average petrol station staff i am not surprised they dont know about it

#8 ·
#10 ·
the RYA is out of date " I think" and was when printed, due to ammenments to the 98 Act.
I would think under the sale of goods act, the petrol station could make its own guidance for employes.

Remember a lot of the current legislation is in fact guidance, the responsibility for risk assessment lies with the owner.
I am aware of petrol stations that will not sell any canned petrol at the request from the police, mainly because it was getting thrown at them later

#13 ·
I think is got something to do with new regs came out that no more than 5 ltrs of petrol/haz materials is alowed to be carried unless you have an adr license in a private motor vehicle

i did the refresher a few years back and i noticed that we are not allowed to carry more than 5ltr containers with hazerdous chemicls in them , but i can as i have an adr license and as long as i have my boards displayed on my car then im legal

But you can stuff as many 5 ltr cans in the boot as you can get in their no worries

stupid rules ,stupid petrol attendants not getting enough training

#14 ·
I had this argument a few years ago with the local petrol station. I could flll my 125 litre plastic fuel tank on the Quicksilver because it is a fuel tank connected to an engine.

They would not allow me to fill the 26 litre tanks on the rib with more than 5 litres as they classd them as portable containers as they were not connected to the engine. I clipped the fuelhose onto the tank, filled it, unclipped - connected to the next one filled it unclipped, what could they say? Had to do it that way or they switched the pump off, chuffin rediculous

#15 ·
Saw a lad turn up at a petrol station on a scooter. They refused to turn the pump on untill he went in and showed his driving licence to prove his age.

I often fill a 22 litre tank and a 5 litre at the same time. The only hastle I have ever had is that they wont turn the pump on untill the car boot is shut. Not sure of the reason for that because I'm not filling it up in the boot.

#16 ·
The way I see it:

Legislation relating to carriage of dangerous goods does not apply to private carriage. It all refers to 'vehicles involved in work activity.'

There are rules covering storage of petrol for domestic use:

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres.

So if you want fill up the night before, and leave the petrol in your garage, or in the back of your car, ready for the morning, you should stay within these limits.

There is a grey area though, as a 25 litre plastic petrol tank could be OK, although some will argue that once removed from the boat, it's not a fuel tank any more, just a plastic container. I keep my boat on my drive, within 6m of the house, but am comfortable that even if I have full 25 litre tanks on the boat, I'm not breaking any laws. I am not storing petrol in plastic containers, I just have full fuel tanks on my boat.

However, none of this legislation stops you from filling as many approved containers as you like, sticking them in the back of your private motor vehicle, and going directly to your boat.

Whether or not a filling station will let you do this is another thing.
They may have maximum limits they are willing to dispense into portable containers, or any fuel tank for that matter, either imposed by their licence conditions, or of their own choice. It may be that they have noticed a great proportion of people who fill portable containers run off without paying.

At the end of the day, if the filling station won't let you do it, they have their reasons, and no amount of argument will sway them, even if there's no legislation to back them up. So find a garage that will let you fill up.

Pennog.

#17 ·
Had a little problem this year at weymouth with one woman in the filling station but her manager was in the shop

when i explained that i would be buying upwards of 70 litres per day and the other garage didnt mind he sai it will be ok for this week

i did tell him there was a big group of us and we would all use the other station if there was a problem he he

ETEC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.