World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am off there for 10 days in June. Have read through all the older posts on here and gathered lots of good info. We're staying somewhere in the north. Name escapes me for now. Main town where you get your licence from.

Anyway, was just after a few tips on the shore fishing, general info such as tide strength and what size leads. Line strength, leaders, rotten bottom needed on all marks? Baits to use for the predators. What to expect in June. Etc etc. Anything you can think of that will be of help.

I'll be taking a couple of shore rods and a couple of light spinning rods.

Many thanks
Singy

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Corralejo.... Crap for fishing, To Shallow.
You get your licence from Porto del Rosario. You might get one from Corralego, But I don`t think so.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
haha, I don't think he was been less than helpful, just honest from what past reports /experiences have given[ with regard the fishing that is] the licence is correct.
If you look on google, it all looks great until you actually drive along the coast and see it, the shallow beaches/reefs scream bass until you discover there are very few bass down there. spotted bass yes, but they appear to come from round the north western side, rather than eastern coast. so when you consider the fish most visitors want to target[ tuna, bluefish and the various big rays] its not the best ground to try,hence why most go down south to Caleta etc
Obviously you never know until you try, but then add in the 8 billion kite/wind and bog surfers, any accessible beach in daylight is normally out.
The stretch just before Corralejo , where the big dunes are, sometimes has a number of blokes with long beach rods and buldos[?] with a small plastic eel on a long trace, so they must catch something? what and how big ,no idea, as I never saw anything caught in 4-5 visits.
If you intend to fish the beaches up there, there is tide toward the north, and prob on most points, but normal uk beach bear will cope easily, fish and gear wise. Other than the rays, and the odd BIG smoothies , not many fish other than spotted bass [think uk bass] or bluefish [wire biting trace] standard pulley rig, 70-80lb trace, single decent hook and off you go. Some of the locals do well fishing for gilthead bream on patches of sand between reefs, but again, they live there so know where to go. YOU WILL get lots of bites from rock marks in deeper water, but hooking anything of better size isn;t that common. Bait elastic is mandatory , bait wise, prawn for the smaller stuff, or 2/3 whole ones at night, use the supermarkets to get your bait [pilchards/sardines,mackeral,scad, all superb and cheap.
Of course , if you do find a great mark between Pte de Rosario and Corralejo , a PM would be most welcome!!
PS , livebaiting is illegal, as is driving on the beaches past the white concrete markers.

Graham

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Graham. Lovely stuff. We will have a hire car, so all of the island will be accessible. But fishing within walking distance of an evening will also be useful.

No livebaiting eh? Is that a definite no no?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Been told that you can get a licence from the council office in corralejo. Anyone know if it's true?

Also, have been informed that some of the beaches up there are fantastic for rays. But they are no fishing. Any views on that?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There is a tackle shop in corralejo down by the ferry, but, far better range of tackle and advice/info from Aram at Gone fishing in caleta de fuste.

I haven't fished due to the licence issue, but, seen loads of locals fishing from the rocks. They seem to use groundbait - looks like bread mixed with mashed up fish - and then floats to catch various types of bream and other small fish, some of them very pretty to look at with stunning colouration. There are loads of mullet but, they seem adept at taking the groundbait and leaving the bait well alone. Did see a small stingray - might have gone 5lbs - that had been dumped dead in a rock pool at the top of flag beach.

Over at el cotillo in the lagoons we have seen more anglers, but, again only seen small fish caught. It looks really fishy and maybe beach casting tactics at night would be productive.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Agree with the comment info far better, and a more "useful" selection of bits for the shore angler at Arrams. The place up at Corralejo is more boat oriented, but it can have some serious bargains on some stuff. Its at the far end of town, go all the way up thru the top rd, and then hang a right down toward the ferry terminal. Shop is on the right hand side, big glass windows.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Check out the local Chinese Bazaars, They normally hold bits of fishing gear, Weights and a few bits and pieces.
Prob the bigger ones, Worth a look if your short of stuff.;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I got my first cararies licence at the council office corralejo but that was 2010, fishing is not brilliant but if yu fancy a bit of 'bait' fishing try the little concreate pier near the harbour (not in the harbour), not allowed to fish the harbour any more, do not get caught using live bait. If you are on the concrete small pier you can cast towards the pontoons at night, loads of qute large mullet there and some prditors lurk under thepontoos one the peope have moved off there.

Reactions: singy

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can still get your recreational licence from the Municipal office in the square by the children's play park.

It's a three storey building, painted in a subtle shade of orange, so not easy to miss.

Go in through the glass front doors, bear right up the stairs and the lady who issues the licences in in an office on the right hand side.

I have heard that you can buy a Canaries fishing licence on-line nowadays and I'm sure there is a link to the website somewhere on WSF

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent stuff guys. We do intend hiring a car which will open up the whole island to us.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cicar is cheaper and comes just as highly recommended on trip advisor. Seems to be one price no cons. Anyone used them to hire a car?

Also interested in purchasing the license on line. Anyone used the gran canaria beaches website?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Cicar is cheaper and comes just as highly recommended on trip advisor. Seems to be one price no cons. Anyone used them to hire a car?

Also interested in purchasing the license on line. Anyone used the gran canaria beaches website?
I`ve used Autoriesn all the time, A few that live there sware by them.
Had others in the past, Gold Car ugh:mad:.. & some other so called cheap ones.
Trouble is you book it on line then when you get there they add the extra ins etc,Some Make you pay for a full tank of gas aswell,It all adds up. You dont get a refund for any gas left either. Then some of them are not based at the airport,so you have to get a pick up bus to their depot and queue up for an hour to get the keys.:mad:
Autoriesn you pay what you see, You get the car with gas in it,Just bring it back the same and its less than 100yds from the terminal.:)
Now i`m on their system, I get upgraded all the time.:)
2 week stay works out about £10 a day, Just make sure you change the island on their site.;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts