World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new reel and need to fully load line on it, I have never had to do this in my life !! Do i need a knot or do i just wind it on ?? Please help...Thanks...LL.

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
LL Yes you need a knot. If you`re loading with braid put some mono on first to cushion. There are all sorts of fancy knots for doing the job, I`ve managed fine for almost 50 years with a simple old slip knot and an overhand knot on the tag end to stop it slipping right out. :giveup:

Also check, since it`s a fixed spool, that you wind the line off the shop spool with either the label side of the spool or the back of the spool facing your reel, dont simply wind it off as if it was coming off a centre pin.

Decide which side should face you buy checking which way your reel turns, i.e. clockwise or anti then make sure it comes off the spool in the same direction otherwise you will get a cracker of a twist.

Trust that is all clear as mud. :blink: :blink: (PS any reel, fixed or multi) does no harm at all to put on a few winds of thread, string, tape etc before your line, acts as a cushion to stop the memory of mono crushing, unlikely on a general purpose reel but if you ever hit something heavy?????? who knows.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The arbor knot the simplest one to use. It's easy to tie.

I don't like winding line on over the lip of the spool of the line any twist is a bad idea. I've knocked something up to do it under tension with the spool of line rotating but a pencil or something in between the cushions on a settee with a small cushion on top will do. You will find your reel will cast better if the line is wound on with a bit of tension. Some hold the line with a bit of rag etc as it's wound on.

John

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
The arbor knot the simplest one to use. It's easy to tie.

I don't like winding line on over the lip of the spool of the line any twist is a bad idea. I've knocked something up to do it under tension with the spool of line rotating but a pencil or something in between the cushions on a settee with a small cushion on top will do. You will find your reel will cast better if the line is wound on with a bit of tension. Some hold the line with a bit of rag etc as it's wound on.

John
I also wind line onto my reels (fs) like this, although i keep reading that it is best done off the front of the spool. I recently spooled braid this way so i hope the so called experts are right.
Have had no problems in the past using the method Ajohn mentions, so i wont be pleased if i get problems now.
Does it honestly make a big difference or is it another case of anglers preference...:g:

·
Registered
274 Posts
LL Yes you need a knot. If you`re loading with braid put some mono on first to cushion. There are all sorts of fancy knots for doing the job, I`ve managed fine for almost 50 years with a simple old slip knot and an overhand knot on the tag end to stop it slipping right out. :giveup:

Also check, since it`s a fixed spool, that you wind the line off the shop spool with either the label side of the spool or the back of the spool facing your reel, dont simply wind it off as if it was coming off a centre pin.

Decide which side should face you buy checking which way your reel turns, i.e. clockwise or anti then make sure it comes off the spool in the same direction otherwise you will get a cracker of a twist.

Trust that is all clear as mud. :blink: :blink: (PS any reel, fixed or multi) does no harm at all to put on a few winds of thread, string, tape etc before your line, acts as a cushion to stop the memory of mono crushing, unlikely on a general purpose reel but if you ever hit something heavy?????? who knows.

"wind the line off the shop spool with either the label side of the spool or the back of the spool facing your reel"

Ive always been told thats the wrong way to do it?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Some have wound line on of the edge of the spool to put twist on deliberately. I can extend a cast for a while with very light tackle - few grams of float. Trouble is the line often caries on coming of the reel long after the end of the cast.
I don't take it of the end of the spool either way because I'm left wondering if there will still be twist unless the spool of line is the same diameter as the reel spool which it isn't.
I wind on with the line under tension because early on I noticed that the casts improved over many casts every time I replaced the line on the reel. Done this way the 1st cast may be a bit unusual if there is too much tension but it settles down very quickly.

In the end to save lots of messing about I knocked this up. The metal rod could be a piece of dowel etc. I put weights in the wooly tupper ware on top but with the set up as shown it doesn't need any. It doesn't really need the margarine tub lid at the bottom either. I just clamp it to a table. It isn't worth messing about.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
"wind the line off the shop spool with either the label side of the spool or the back of the spool facing your reel"

Ive always been told thats the wrong way to do it?

Have a quick check here, quite a bit on various causes of line twist, some obvious, some not quite so. www.bishfish.co.nz/tips/linetwist.htm

Even Line Winders that you can buy and which will take spinning reels have an attachment to allow the spool only of the reel to be attached so it faces the line spool in the same way it would if a multiplier or fly reel was being filled. :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Linux updates are annoying at times. The people who write the bottom end stuff don't always agree with those that write some of the other bits and pieces. Hence the patch. The pics crap because it came of a web cam but should serve it's purpose.

Linux does have many advantages though plus lots and lots of software but it's not for game. Odd really because mac's and lots of other things run a version of it.

John
PS
I will not be looking at the nz link as it might say fixed spool reel introduce line twist. It's largely a myth even with wire bail arms. Not pig headed it's just that I have used them for rather a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts