World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been fishing in portsmouth harbour. And was happy with my 1lb bass that I put back then I notice someone laying a net around 300 meters long.. I drove my boat nearer to the net.. 40 yards away from where the 2 blokes were pulling it back to there boat.. And I could see at least 3-4 bass on every meter of next that was pulled in some were on half lb. then thrown in to box no one got put back... I reacon they hauled in around 5-600 bass.. It's discusting

·
13,170 Posts
Your local IFCA are the people to tell.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Video them, and post it on YouTube. Unless we name and shame, they will carry on.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just been fishing in portsmouth harbour. And was happy with my 1lb bass that I put back then I notice someone laying a net around 300 meters long.. I drove my boat nearer to the net.. 40 yards away from where the 2 blokes were pulling it back to there boat.. And I could see at least 3-4 bass on every meter of next that was pulled in some were on half lb. then thrown in to box no one got put back... I reacon they hauled in around 5-600 bass.. It's discusting

If and it's a big if, they were commercial they would have had numbers on the side of the boat? If that was the case, they would have had to use a certain sized mesh, that means the net itself will fish clean with no undersized fish. The big if, if they were commercial is where would they get rid of the undersized as they would need an iffy outlet as well, they will need to get around buyers and sellers. If they were commercial, make sure you have a camera or video with you as they as sure as heck would not like to be filmed.

other than that, they might have been un licenced thieves and no commercial would like to see that happen.

Somehow, I think that there is a little bit more to this than what you saw and what the actual reality was.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
its good to know there is that many bass but not for long. like salar said, film them and share it allover facebook and join uk boat fishing (agroup on facebook with over 6000 members) and im sure lots of people will join in if you help you find somewhere to report them to.

·
13,170 Posts
Putting them on here would be against WSF policy. If legal, there is no need, if illegal then it is a matter for the authorities.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I got photos and some video footage..
good for you, IF you are sure what you have seen, package it up and send it to the chief fishery officer of the ifca. Copy in the mmo. All details are on the net. They have to investigate and reply to you, if your not happy with the ifca reply, it gets passed up the line to the mmo.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
837 Posts
|I feel that the "name and shame" hysteria for any netter is a route to cause problems.
If they are somehow legal you face the probability of litigation for posting them all over the internet.
If they are illegal you face the possibility of having the camers stuffed where the sun don't shine!
I don't care how hard you think you are after a sniff of the barmaids apron, they can be much worse.
Remember they probably have "helpers" nearby.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I saw them too on my way out of the harbour. I took a detour and reported them to the harbour police patrol who said they would go and take a look.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If they are legal, then making photographs and video, and posting it is not an issue, as it is in a public place. Just make sure you don't suggest they were doing something wrong.
If they are up to no good, then they should be named and shamed

·
13,170 Posts
If they are legal, then making photographs and video, and posting it is not an issue, as it is in a public place. Just make sure you don't suggest they were doing something wrong.
If they are up to no good, then they should be named and shamed
If the photographer is in a public place then (generally) there are no "privacy" implications. Where we have to be careful is in considering what constitutes a public place. It is not as simple as "everywhere that the public has access".
Of course posting it on WSF would be an issue (as defined by you)......it has already been implied that the netters were acting in an inappropriate manner.

This is my decision as a mod. PM me or report my post if you disagree.

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
I saw them too on my way out of the harbour. I took a detour and reported them to the harbour police patrol who said they would go and take a look.
:laugh: I too reported illegal fishing to the MOD police and their answer was, "get MAFF here and we'll take them there in our boat, we don't control the fishing in the harbour". :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Agree this is probably a MAFF issue, last year in July I was fishing in Chichester harbour which is a Bass nursery and I was approached by a MAFF fisheries vessel who asked if I had any Bass on the boat which of course I didn't.

This has to be the same for Portsmouth harbour, so I would get MAFF involved.

Steveh24

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I don't understand if I took 1 bass home from harbour I could of been in trouble.... Yet I watch these blokes pull in 40 meters of about 300 meter net.. And there was around 100 bass or so... I didn't see any get put back... I ain't here to grass on people.. But I sat there for 3 hours to catch 1 bass. And yet the netters must be destroying there production.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
What I don't understand if I took 1 bass home from harbour I could of been in trouble.... Yet I watch these blokes pull in 40 meters of about 300 meter net.. And there was around 100 bass or so... I didn't see any get put back... I ain't here to grass on people.. But I sat there for 3 hours to catch 1 bass. And yet the netters must be destroying there production.
What do you want to 'get' out of this then? If they were fishing illegally they want stopping. If they was commercial they would have to comply with the buyers and seller legislation so there would be a paper trail. Worse, if there wasn't any documentation, they would have to be selling through the back door, as it is above the daily allowance according to you, so there would be even more people involved in this conspiracy. So, you want them to carry on as is? Do you think they deserve your assistance in not reporting while your fishing is going down the pan, according to you.

Don't like thieves, nor anecdotal assumptions, report it and let the ifca investigate, it's their job and they do issue warnings, stay anonymous if you wish and your evidence is strong.

loads of if's.

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
Can you be 100% sure that the fish being retained were bass and not mullet ?
:laugh: Knowing Pompey harbour as I do, probably at least 30% of those fish were bass and if none went back then they were keeping bass in with the mullet but I believe that is legal until May 1st when the bass nursery area kicks in until the end of October, but I may be out on the dates. :laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts