World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small dinghy with a 5HP outboard and I plan on coming down to Mevagissey this weekend to see if I can pull a few Pollock/coddling out.
The thing is I have been down there before with the Kayak and the beauty of the Kayak is that you can just get in the water anywhere. But when it comes to a small inflatable boat with a fish finder, tackle, lunch and a outboard motor things tent to be more tricky than just launching from the beach.
Do you guys know of anywhere I can get close to the waters edge with the van and gear. Where I can launch from and get back out at the end of the day with some ease?
Also I plan on going out to "Gwingees Rock" just off of Gorran Haven. Is this a good spot for the larger Pollock?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have a small dinghy with a 5HP outboard and I plan on coming down to Mevagissey this weekend to see if I can pull a few Pollock/coddling out.
The thing is I have been down there before with the Kayak and the beauty of the Kayak is that you can just get in the water anywhere. But when it comes to a small inflatable boat with a fish finder, tackle, lunch and a outboard motor things tent to be more tricky than just launching from the beach.
Do you guys know of anywhere I can get close to the waters edge with the van and gear. Where I can launch from and get back out at the end of the day with some ease?
Also I plan on going out to "Gwingees Rock" just off of Gorran Haven. Is this a good spot for the larger Pollock?

No Idea, but I hope someone helps you out

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the lack of support shown by these forums.
I did go fishing and I did catch however like the general mood of this site I will not be sharing what I had or how I caught it.
Very disappointed with the lack of help!
Not you Wayne the punk.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
sorry couldn't have helped you not my neck of the woods just an idear in future if you are fishing a new venue try Google earth you could look for slip ways ect your's ain't the only post to be ignored might have been worth putting in the kayak section.
there's some very helpfull people on this forum it's just unlucky no one helped you out .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
biffo in the end I did look on Google maps. It has become the app for fishermen course and sea. I did find a small place that I could get in and out of the water from. However I did have to beach the boat on the first day due to not knowing about the access point. I almost lost everything in 5 seconds. Everything was going so well until I hit the surf and bang just like that my heart was in my throat.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
oh no nightmare I can imagine how frightening it must have been someone on here could have helped prevent this surely sorry to hear you had a bad experience hope you had plenty of fish to compensate if you ever need any advice on plymouth and the river tamar don't be afraid to ask just cuz you didn't get any help with Mevagissey don't mean that people ain't willing to help out in outher areas ;)

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
biffo in the end I did look on Google maps. It has become the app for fishermen course and sea. I did find a small place that I could get in and out of the water from. However I did have to beach the boat on the first day due to not knowing about the access point. I almost lost everything in 5 seconds. Everything was going so well until I hit the surf and bang just like that my heart was in my throat.
Take it easy mate , the sea can be cruel, number one rule stay safe you only have one life

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
If you need help on North Devon or the Bristol Channel, happy to help, but I know Cornwall about as well as I know Mars.
Maybe no one saw this thread who could answer your question, which was quite specific.
We don't seem to get a lot of Cornish responses these days, makes me wonder if the more knowledgeable guys and aren't on here as much anymore.
Just my twopence worth...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I did go fishing and I did catch however like the general mood of this site I will not be sharing what I had or how I caught it.
Not you Wayne the punk.

Well done mate, I did think about buying a dinghy once, but I am a bit scared of getting into difficulties and the consequences. On lures or bait?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help lads.
I did go down there last year in a kayak and I sold it as soon as I got home. They are great for flying around on but to fish from I would never recommend them. As for a small dingy, that is the key to the lock.
It has opened up coast fishing for me sooo much after the weekend. Harbour walls, beaches and rocks are all fine and dandy but if you really want to get among the fish you have to get just out past casting distance and the dingy can offer you that. I made a small video on my trip but due to problems with me SD card most of my footage has been lost :(
have a look and see my setup.

A

·
0 Posts
Not you Wayne the punk.
How much of a paradox is that, you asked for advice, had the hump because, you only had a few responses and now aren't prepared to share what you did learn.
It's sad, but next time you post asking for a 'heads up' I'll certainly be ignoring it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well that is clearly not the case is it!
Fella comes down to Cornwall and is after a bit of advice. Not asking for specific 'oh so bloody secret fishing spots!' Just asking for a safe place to launch his dinghy from!.......
Nobody local offers up even a spot of advice as to how the fella can stay safe and is then lynched for not telling everyone how he got on!!
Fair enough I say!
There are plenty of people on here who are willing to critisise people who may not know better or are still learning, but seemingly fewer and fewer who will offer advice!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
17438056_1705177449780407_3488920832120455168_n.jpg 17494718_101178373759106_7033473739970838528_n.jpg 17586594_436887766658651_3324874560544702464_n.jpg 17663295_1924263471129068_9172308195715055616_n.jpg
Two wrongs don't make a wright!
For the record I did catch and had a fab weekend.
Starting from Charles Town and heading south in the dingy to Gorran Haven and back again.
The best fishing was to be had from the harbour wall in Charles Town. Two bass of about 1lb-1.5lb on lob and squid. Mackerel on feathers from the wall. Whiting on lob and feathers. Pollock on lure "very small" paddle tall yellow/green colour also had Pollock on feathers. We even had a sardine on feathers in Mevagissey Bay. We never went that far out only to about 100 foot deep. We found that the fish were closer in rather than out in the open water. The mackerel were thin on the ground but when you did find them they were of good size. As for the Bass only small but I did miss a bite that almost pulled my rod over the wall and its a large rod 14 foot rod so I would have said a larger bass but we will never know.
Put out two crab pots and had loads of velvet crabs they all went back apart from two lovely sized edible crab that ended up in the pot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good report, thanks for posting.
The crab photo, is that couscous in front of it or has that crab just puked :BigGrin:
Its couscous not crab puke :D
They were lovely. Nothing worse than seeing people going crabbing and leaving the crabs in a bucket for them all to just die. Only take what you need.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts