World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
We were at the far end of the quarry (towards inverary) for an hour or so after high tide, nothing in sight. Heard a couple cheers from the pier area though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were at the far end of the quarry (towards inverary) for an hour or so after high tide, nothing in sight. Heard a couple cheers from the pier area though.
Nope I was on the rocks to the right of the pier area. fsihing between 12:30 and 4ish

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Im glad I went to Ardmay, Loch Long:happy:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Was at Furnace Fri/Sat arrived mid Fri, left for pastures new mid Sat should have stayed where I was as pastures new yielded nada. :cry:

Saddest point in the journey was arrived at Furnace went to take a look see, passed a family ma, pa and wee boy, wee being figurative to his age as all three looked like they had major problems with their chairs being far far to close to the fridge. :roll1:

Main point being as I walked past I noticed they had an orange bucket with about six to eight what looked to be Pollack at a glance, and the biggest could have only been maybe seven to eight inches in length I’ve seen bigger sardines. :nonono: All told in the time I was there they must have caught about a dozen and their answer to keeping them “They were for the cat” the group next to them had passed comment on the size and that was the answer. :schmoll:

How do we develop sensible angling habits when morons like this are teaching their kids that it is fine to kill anything that takes the bait?? They were little better than fry and this aersehole was keeping them. :banghead::banghead:

That point aside my catch was five mackerel quite nice bright eyed clean plump fish but they were not around in any great numbers, you could seethem swimming around close to the wall but only in small groups 6-10 max not exactly what you would call shoals.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
so why dont you stay in northumberland,,where their arent any heavy people and no-one takes under sized fish

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wow a little touchy on my location I take it you are a little anti south of the border, and do you only ever fish on your own doorstep??

Basically because I live north of the border now and the keeping of undersized fish is a problem all over.

Also in this day and age with all the info available to us you would think that people would try to do something about their health, if not their own then at least the health of their children.

The kid was about ten both years and stone, not good by anybodies standards.

I injured my back a few years ago and after that I started to put weight on and I am still over weight, I was a lot less active but still eating the same hence weight gain. Simple answer I try to watch what I eat now and try to keep the volume down, if I don’t I start putting the weight back on.

You can be as polite as you like by calling people heavy it don’t get away from the fact that they are fat and that is simply greed and/or laziness. Weight is simply mathematics consume more calories than you use and you will gain weight simple. You can consume as much as you like and if you are active enough you will work it off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I thought this was a fishing forum not weightwatchers!!! :uhuh:
So let's try and stick to it.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
exactly its a fishing forum and i was fishing furnace on fri and seen the family your on about,i was fishing the wooden pier they were on the concrete pier,were you possibly the fella who went to fish off the rocks to right of me the came onto wodden pier to speak to older fella about tide times etc? its no very smart slagging some one off who cant come on here and say there piece to defend themselves

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
andy you can still fish it ,instant your right you cant defend killing undersized fish but not everyone is educated but that has nothing to do with them being overweight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes - keep your prejudices to yourself.

At least the "F*****g fat family" as you so uncharitably referred to them were out as a family, had made the effort to get there, were fishing and not stuck indoors watching the telly.

Give credit where credit's due for taking the kid out fishing, and don't be judgemental.

There aren't many fat kids round where we are - and the couple of kids I know who are overweight actually have serious health issues and I'm pretty certain that they would love for their moms and dads to take them out fishing. I know because I take one of them with my lad sometimes.

I don't agree with killing undersize fish, and it's something you have to be understanding and often compromising about with 10 year olds, but teach them as they grow,

Good on them - and I hope someone else from the forum took the trouble to have a few friendly words with them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't agree with killing undersize fish, and it's something you have to be understanding and often compromising about with 10 year olds, but teach them as they grow,

Bill, I hope I am not misinterpreting the view you had intended to get across, but there is no compromise necessary even when fishing with youngsters, be they your own or others, when it comes to the unnecessary slaughter of undersized, or immature, fish.

And before anyone asks, yes I am talking from experience, as I have an 11 year old of my own, and no matter how made up she was with her first catch and couldn't wait to take it home to proudly show her mum I had to reason with her and explain the importance of returning it.

This brought on floods of tears, and had her sulking for all of 30 minutes until such time as she caught another fish, this time one which was easily above any size limit (which turned out to be the largest either of us caught that day), at which time she gleefuly asked if she could keep this one.
To which I replied, certainly, just as long as you intend to eat it, to which she replied no, I cannot stand the taste of fish (and given that her mother is allergic to fish I knew her mother wouldn't eat it ... lol).
We then had a discussion about the unnecessary killing of a fish merely for trophy purposes, at which point I was proud to see that she had taken onboard my point and had me slip the fish back into the water, yet there was still an uneasy/glum look on her face.

It dawned on me that she had desperatly wanted to show her mum what she had achieved, and being as I had been taking treasured pics of her first few catches I promised her a resolution.
That involved flying in by Asda on the way home, picking up a photo frame, then nipping home and printing out, and framing, a picture of her proudly holding her fish, for her to take home to proudly show her mum.

Mission accomplished you would imagine, but no.

I appear to have done my job of education too well, as now she doesn't like fishing as it hurts the fish, and if you are not going to kill it then why catch it in the first place (though she does love catching small fish in rock pools, and catching shore crabs, and other crustaceans, in pots we slip down the pier walls whenever we are out).

So, do I have all the answers ......... apparently no.

But what I do have is a young lady that knows the importance of catch and release if you have no intention of eating your catch (or having others eat it for that matter), and she has been educated as to what will happen to future fish stocks if immature fish are unneccissarily killed (she even made this a subject of a project at school, and was commended for her environmental awareness).
And for that I feel rightly proud of her.

Like I said originally, I quite likely misinterpreted your intentions regarding the wording of your post, as the written word, without the benefit of vocal infliction, is easily misconstrued.
And if this is the case I apologise unreservedly in advance.

My intention was not to pick up on anything that you had said as an individual, but merely to utilise it to explain why I felt that there is no valid reason to keep undersized, and immature, fish.

I hope no offence has been taken, as no offence was intended.

·
Registered
109 Posts
totally agree with heid honcho on this one regarding catch and release, i was brought up from a young age to respect the smaller fish (and my father isnt into fishing so i had no1 to guide me in the right direction) its common sense that these fish are the future stock so why is it so hard for other ppl to understand!

although i dont necessarily agree with cupidstunt i dont think he wouldav received such harsh criticism if his location had have been north of the border, which in this day and age is just sad! you criticise him for being a little offensive to the over-weight which is fair enough but there were comments made by another forum user which could be deemed as racist and yet nothing was said.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No - no offence taken and I understand why you read it that way.

T'was clumsily worded, but I think maybe some Dad's might have read that and gone "yes, messy, but I've been there, know what you mean".

My own 10 year old would never argue about an undersize fish - I think you've met him - we've had the discussion you also had and he understands the rules of the game. Put it back and eat it when it is bigger!

Great the approach that you used - that's brilliant. The picture will last, and be cherished.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts