World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go fishing up at the quarry on monday:clap2: never tried there before so was wondering if its better for lures or bait and laso any good conger?
tried loch etive last week and sadly wasnt great for size of fish but not bad for range as got around 20 fish and 3 species but no dogs or rays!:sad2:
cheers

·
Registered
383 Posts
Furnace quarry by Inverary. Turn left into the village of furnace and follow road round passing an old castle on your left, carry on up through quarry till you come to single track road, park to your left or right, Quarry 50yds to your right . Stone pier wall. I normally fish on the left hand corner, casting out to about 10 oclock, a good chuck into very deep water and also straight out at 12 oclock, good chuck again. I find that these areas are not to snagggy as the quarry is a tackle graveyard, i also use paper clip as a rotton to attach my weights. Also the pier to your right, but very snaggy, Conger, lsd, pollock, cod, wrasse, Mackerel. Baits, lures, fish baits. The Bistro cafe/Fishfarm is also just up the road passed Furnace on your left, but they lock the gates at night till the morning, but if you ask the owners, they will let you park your car, providing you arrive before they shut, which is about 4/5pm within the grounds, but you will not get your car out till they open in the morning. You can also park out side. Walk round the back of the Bistro following the path and you will see a reef running out to your right, cast only about 30/40 yds and you are into 90 plus feet of water on a cliff face, conger running up to 25lb at this mark, not took one out from here at that weight, but have seen them caught and in day lite. Conger, lsd, pollock, cod, wrasse, Mackerel and ray. Baits, lures, fish baits. Rigs, i use a pulley pennel 7/0 mustard as main hook and a 6/0 aberdeen above, so i can bend the eye to lay flat on wire, as i find the conger in Fyne are shy at taking the bait and this increses you chance of setting the hook. Wire trace. I use 80lb, as you can get conger to 30Lb in both marks. So anything between 50 and 80 would be okay. Most conger are strap and you would get away with 30lb trace, but i don't want to take the chance in case the big congers show up. Small flappers rigs for smaller stuff.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Furnace quarry by Inverary.

Turn left into the village of furnace and follow road round passing an old castle on your left, carry on up through quarry till you come to single track road, park to your left or right, Quarry 50yds to your right.

Stone pier wall.

I normally fish on the left hand corner, casting out to about 10 oclock, a good chuck into very deep water and also straight out at 12 oclock, good chuck again.

I find that these areas are not to snagggy as the quarry is a tackle graveyard, i also use paper clip as a rotton to attach my weights. Also the pier to your right, but very snaggy, Conger, lsd, pollock, cod, wrasse, Mackerel.

Baits, lures, fish baits.

The Bistro cafe/Fishfarm is also just up the road passed Furnace on your left, but they lock the gates at night till the morning, but if you ask the owners, they will let you park your car, providing you arrive before they shut, which is about 4/5pm within the grounds, but you will not get your car out till they open in the morning.

You can also park out side. Walk round the back of the Bistro following the path and you will see a reef running out to your right, cast only about 30/40 yds and you are into 90 plus feet of water on a cliff face, conger running up to 25lb at this mark, not took one out from here at that weight, but have seen them caught and in day lite.

Conger, lsd, pollock, cod, wrasse, Mackerel and ray. Baits, lures, fish baits.

Rigs, i use a pulley pennel 7/0 mustard as main hook and a 6/0 aberdeen above, so i can bend the eye to lay flat on wire, as i find the conger in Fyne are shy at taking the bait and this increses you chance of setting the hook.

Wire trace. I use 80lb, as you can get conger to 30Lb in both marks. So anything between 50 and 80 would be okay. Most conger are strap and you would get away with 30lb trace, but i don't want to take the chance in case the big congers show up. Small flappers rigs for smaller stuff.
Sorry Hob, but I needed to do this as you have a very interesting piece that was sore on my eyes.:secret:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts