World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...... so following mine and Jimmy's succesful Plaice fishing trip to Seaford, I felt it would be simply rude not to also have a raid upon your yummy south coast Sole. With this in mind I once again consulted boi Bob (Goldenoldie) regarding a suitable South coast venue. Bob duly came up with what sounded like an excellent spot with lots of potential, the identity of which I shall not reveal here and now out of respect for the man and his kindness.

My target was simply the same one which I have been pursuing for a few years now, namely a 2lb Sole. As despite catching hundreds of them flat Eels, including some crackers to 1lb 15oz, that magic '2' has always eluded me. As in my neck of the woods, a shore caught 2lb Sole, is possibly as rare as a 'proper' Cod, or a non stunted Ting!

So having sussed a venue, what was now needed was a travelling partner, Jimmy was again keen but predisposed on this occasion, and despite lots of other peeps wishing to join me, none were able to make it this past Sunday. Then Chipmunk Pete displayed a rare moment of semi-intelligence, suggesting that I meet and pick up up Tournamag aka Gary, on route along the M25 by the Queen Mary bridge. Unfortunately neither myself or Gary had even heard of this supposedly impressive landmark etched into the dark clay like substance within Chipmunk's head? So instead we chose the QE bridge and duly met, sorted.

We arrived at the chosen venue mid afternoon and fished the remainder of the ebb tide down, nothing, zilch, not even a slightly scared looking worm.

The flood tide then started to make the beach as the sun was setting and wahooo I catch a Plaice just undersize, swiftly followed by a second of similar proportions, both lip hooked and swiftly returned. These are then followed by a Schooly of approx 2lb, hurrah, then a Ting, boo hiss.

Gary then gets off the mark with a Weever, careful boi. Then he suddenly comes to life and does it with mega style by landing a clonking doormat of a Sole measuring 44cm and weighing 1-15 awesome stuff indeed. No pic I'm afraid at Gary's request, he likes his privacy and I respect that.
I then get my first flat Eel of the session measuring 32cm, which in turn is followed by 2 more of 35 and 31cm, plus a couple more of both schoolies (38 & 46cm) and Tings (83 & 88mm). Gary then catches a smaller Sole which he returns.

While sat on my box baiting a replacement rig, I get a real clonker of a bite that has the tip banging away like a Yarmouth girl who's been treated to a bag of chips. The line starts dropping to the beach, now that looks Sole like, me thinks? I knew upon the retrieve it was a good fish from the power of the 'rattles' it was sending down the line, but was it the one I've been after for so long? A long dark flat shape clears the final wave and is now clearly mine, I walk down, grab the trace and lift the fish from the shingle, it is at this point I realise this is going to be very close to my dream Sole. The fish is unfortunately deeply hooked and bleeding, so consequently the first thing I do is to despatch it. Then I measure it..... 45cms, then I weigh it..... 2lb exactly..... OH YUSSSS!

No more Sole are caught, though I do catch 2 more Schoolies and a couple more Tings. One of the Bass is unfortunately hooked very deeply and despite my best efforts it isn't going to survive, so I take it for the pot and at 43cms it is of course now legal. Sadly Gary's not had a bite for some time, so we decide it's time to hit the road.

20181011_164947.jpg

I drop Gary off at Thurrock, where we share a bite and a cuppa before I bid him farewell for now, and head back to sunny Nawfuk.

I had left my house at 07.00 Sunday and I park up at 07.00 Monday. I'm able to sneak 2hrs sleep prior to taking mother to hospital for her hearing test. I was I guess, completely knackered and entirely reliant upon caffeinated drinks to keep me going. But boi did I have a big grin on my face all day long.

20181008_094849.jpg

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wondered when you were going to post- thought you’d done a Rip Van Winkle and retired to your pit to catch up on your shuteye for the week! Glad to have pointed you in the right direction Alan - proper job you Norfolk bois getting pb’s, can’t guarantee that every time you give me a call! Well done on your catch and on posting some great pics. Bob.
Ps, if I ever need any advice on catching your legendary hordes of east coast pin whiting (the name’s longer than they are), I’ll be straight on the phone.:wink:

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondered when you were going to post- thought you’d done a Rip Van Winkle and retired to your pit to catch up on your shuteye for the week! Glad to have pointed you in the right direction Alan - proper job you Norfolk bois getting pb’s, can’t guarantee that every time you give me a call! Well done on your catch and on posting some great pics. Bob.
Ps, if I ever need any advice on catching your legendary hordes of east coast pin whiting (the name’s longer than they are), I’ll be straight on the phone.:wink:

I'm sort of awake boi. :)

Popped up Doner kebab does the biz big time for Yarmouth Tings..... FACT.

Ssssssssshhhh :wink:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Nice to see you finally got your 2lber Mr k effort=reward after all the flat eels we had on the Suffolk beaches.

I have sorted all my work issues out got next week off I think you need to take me down south need some stress relief lol,,

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cracker al
I finally got the bugga Mel. :cool:

Here's hoping all's well with you at the mo down there in darkest Kent.

Nice to see you finally got your 2lber Mr k effort=reward after all the flat eels we had on the Suffolk beaches.

I have sorted all my work issues out got next week off I think you need to take me down south need some stress relief lol,,
Cheers Kev and keep your chin up.

Yes you must get your butt down there at some time. Them southern bois don't know how lucky they are to have fish of this quality.

Reckon we should organise a proper raiding party bois. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts