World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right im looking at the Century G5 Supa Sport (discontinued but still available), Carbon Metal or Carbon Metal Crest. Need something to match or better my veals channel special mk1 (uprated tip tornado).

Needed for heavy rough ground, about as rough as you can get. The metal crest seems to be the best. Is there really a noticable difference in the standard metal to the metal crest?

Would appreciate info from anybody thats got experience with these rods.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My mate has the standard CM, and to be honest it doesn't seem to have the guts for the roughest ground (great on mixed ground though). Can't comment on the other rods.

For £200 you can usually get a WR300 in excellent condition. This will easily cope with anything.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The G5 Supasport will handle the rougher stuff. I have a Carbon Metal and cant get away with the Kelp and Heavy seas. Try Looking at the Greys Nitra mate or the Penn Ruffstuff aswell, these rods are of a similar type and will do the job well.

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
marty,
have a look at the CM crest - sure that will do just the job for the east coast!
other century rods to consider are komp WR300 and the TTR.
i got 2 TTR's recently - best rods i ever bought!!! :)

other idea could be to look on ebay for kompressor WR300/Grand Prix/Sport or a Tip Tornado Grand Prix
PS

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, maybe also interested in a couple of the Conoflex rods.....still looking but i like the metal crest.

marty,
i got 2 TTR's recently - best rods i ever bought!!! :)
PS
Paulstewart aka Mr Money bags!! have you lifted any doublers on the rod yet? How far are you casting with them?

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
mr moneybags- i wish!!!! just sold a few things to fund them:secret:
dont know bout distance, but far enuff lol.
yea they are good rods - no doubles yet tho. if you interested in conoflex rods - check the sale section - macfarlane is selling a brand new highlander!
PS

·
Registered
82 Posts
TTR is a fantastic rod!! Will handle anything, depends on your budget though. Expect to pay at least £250 for a decent second hand one. Tip tornado sport can handle most situations, and the tt grand prix will take anything. Maybe if you want to spend a bit less though, try the greys appolo mark1! Can handle anything!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
i have the G5 and i dont think it will handle what your looking for as its very bendy but its a all round rod more for pier work and not so rough ground beach work......conoflex slr is a good rod for what i have been told i just got one off ebay not had a go yet...but i have the conflex anubis + witch is a cracking rod but its no good in the wind like a floppy dog...i have been looking at getting a zziplex lt bullet had a go of my mates zziplex XTR ground caster and it was so good am looking at getting one but a little bit stiffer and the lt bullet fits the bill...there are that many rods that say rough ground rod and the money your looking to spend take your time and wait for others to reply as am sure there will be loads looking

good luck mate

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty much made my mind up and im going for the Carbon Metal Crest. Done some reading on it and the test on myfishcasting forum sealed the deal.

Got a century already and want to keep with them. Will get it ordered up in a couple of weeks or so. Thanks for the replies though, but if anybody has any other reports or feelings on the rod please keep them coming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts